DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN config and script question

Threaded View

RMAN config and script question

Well thanks for the help last week. I have my RMAN backups happening and I have cron scripts that copy the backups to another host for redundancy since they dont have tape drives at this company.

2 Questions

1) I reach out to the destination and clear the previous nights copy of backups with the following:

ssh oracle@standby << CMDS
    rm /ora/backup/blprimary/bje/*.bak
    CMDS >

Although it completes, it blows up returning 'bad file number' which is some ssh debug output. But since it clears the directory I just put it into a sub-script and call it from the cron script and the cron script continues merrily. Is anybody familiar with this ssh problem on solaris?

2) I think rman/repository/OEM is nice when you have 100 machines to backup, good to have a master console. But for this shop with 5 boxes I am feeling that a repository is a just another point of failure. Academically it sounds great but in practice I dont like having it there. I am thinking of using simple rman control file backups. Can anyone school me on why this would be a bad decision? OEM emails are kind of nice....

Thanks for the help, next week I am moving on to fixing their Data Guard pairs....then I can relax.

Love the new job, good to be back in the game and not on the sidelines.

Last edited by BJE_DBA; 04-26-2003 at 08:59 AM.