DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bash script for copying backup files...

Bash script for copying backup files...

Hi,

The former DBA killed all backups so my first order of business is to get them going with RMAN ( done ) and then copy them to another host for redundancy, and then sweep to tape.

I just need a way to get yesterdays date with bash on solaris but the man pages suggest I can only format dates and not do any date-1 or 'yesterday'.

Any ideas?

Thanks

oracle@oem01--/export/home/oracle>todays_date=`date +%d`
    oracle@oem01--/export/home/oracle>echo $todays_date
    oracle@oem01--/export/home/oracle>let X=todays_date-1
    oracle@oem01--/export/home/oracle>echo $X
    soooo...

oracle@oem01--/export/home/oracle>date
    Thu Apr 24 15:11:18 CDT 2003
    oracle@oem01--/export/home/oracle>date +%a' '%b' '$X' '%H':'%M':'%S' '%Z' '%Y
    Thu Apr 23 15:15:12 CDT 2003

hope this helps
    Last edited by mharoon99; 04-24-2003 at 04:22 PM.
    Moe M Haroon

RMAN, RMAN, RMAN, lemme see. RMAN supports operations involving sysdate, so you can do things like 'sysdate - 1.' Why are you trying to manipulate dates via the OS?

You can find files (via the find command) that have been accessed or modified (-atime and -mtime) based on +/-/exactly n days. Is that what you are looking for?

I have started rman backups into a local directories on the 3 production machines. There are no tape drives. I am writing this script to run after the backups and copy the latest set to another host, round robbin so every box will copy backups to the next one in a circle. The rman process writes to a dir where it keeps 6 sets and deletes the oldest. I just want to copy the newest per above.

Our bash on solaris looks fairly 'light' as date has no -d option so all the web examples wont work.

But I was overengineering anyway, stecal's approach of correctly using 'find' grabs the latest filenames for my array and all that is left is to SCP and I am done. I was sidetracked since date is in the filename also.

Phase II is to get the net admin to sweep all 3 2ndary locations to tape after my scripts run.

Phase III is to fix the data guard setups.

Then I begin sleeping better

Thanks for the help! Great site!