DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replacement Software

Question Replacement Software

Hi DBA's,

I am a layperson in the IT world, I work in Finance. My company is currently using a database querying software called Data Direct by Intersolv. This package is no longer produced or supported by Intersolv and we are looking to replace it at some point in 2003.

I was curious is anybody can recommend a suitable replacement. I obviously considered Oracle, however, it probably has more features than we need. I considered Access since everybody with a PC is already has a license, but didnn't know if that would be suitable. We really just need to write queries from DB2 tables and I was looking for a suitable replacement for Data Direct. I'm not sure if Access is robust enough to handle the job.

If anybody has any recommendations or knows what the limitations on Access are, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

I have experience limited experience with Data Direct. Basically, you are looking at two directions from Data Direct; up or down. You can move up to a big-time (read big $$$) query tool such as Business Objects or Cognos Impromptu. On the lower end (read free or already licensed), you can stick with something like MS Access or even MS Query. Depending on what you want to do, a reporting tool such as Crystal Reports might do the trick (but I wouldn't recommend Crystal to anybody).

I would start gathering background information at http://www.dwinfocenter.org/query.html
    Jeff Hunter

Thumbs up

Oracle Discoverer is a great product and speaks the Oracle "native language". You can do almost every db querying and reporting your organization might have need for.

Even custom users queries can be build and have the users run them by themselves.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA

Originally posted by clio_usa
    Oracle Discoverer is a great product and speaks the Oracle "native language". You can do almost every db querying and reporting your organization might have need for.

Even custom users queries can be build and have the users run them by themselves.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP 8/8i/9i DBA
    Hello!?!?!?!?!? The user is trying to query DB2. If you are talking to Oracle, fine (arguably). DB2, no way.
    Jeff Hunter

If u does'nt want to spend money and if the features are more u can stick to MS-ACCESS as it is possible to build queries to DB2 through ODBC.

Thumbs up

I assume accessing DB2 tables via Access would take some integration?

I understand Access has size limitations (last I heard, with 2000 version was 2gb). Are there ways to expand Access's ability to process the number of records if that isn't enough? We here are all licensed for Access 2000 ver 9.0.

Any recommendations of companys that can provide this type of consulting?

I really appciate all of your reply's so far and thank you in advance for future replys.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Try BusinessObjects

Hi

Try Mysql..it can handle well over 2Gb no limitations..good replacement for acesse..comes with a nice little GUI too called SQLyog

best part is it is open source and free..

http://www.webyog.com/sqlyog/

http://www.mysql.com

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/M...yog/page1.html

for connecting any ODBC compliant database like yours to mysql

open source rocks...

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 04-25-2003 at 12:58 AM.