DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: database hung

database hung

what could cause the database hung???? I don't know the reason why it hung b/c there are no errors on the log file, neither the trace files.

the database is 8i version running Windows 2000 and I know a lot of peers in here will say "it's b/c windozzzz"

any thought????

p.s no archive log mode on this database.

It must be Italian

Can you see and long running sessions in OEM?
    Can you re-boot it?
    Windows does need to be re-booted every once in a while.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

What do windows perf mon and task manager say about it? Any disk activity? Really hung or just a query that takes forever?
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

really hung and reboot the server fix the problem, but this happen three times in two weeks.

no errors were generated.

any other thoughts???

Hi Mike,

"it's b/c windozzzz"

Well, I am thinking of your virtual memory... What's your max paging file size? and how many of them? I think you should look there because if your paging file/s filled to max size on the same drive
    of your audit_file_dest (your drive might filled to 100%) then no connect internal is possible and database could hung... that's explain why you did not get any error message.
    Other possiblilities: I know you said your database was not on no archive log mode in general try to put audit_file_dest, log_archive_dest and ORACLE_HOME away from paging drive.

HTH

Regards,
    Giani