DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I am confused about OEM

I am confused about OEM

Hi all,

I tried to to setup everything on my machaine to run OEM with Management server on this machine and I am confused. Below is what I tried to do.

I have Management server and now I create a user on the Management server let say call TEST. I also had the user named TEST on the remote database I want to manage. According to Oracle Docs, I need to grant SYSDBA and SYSOPER to TEST so I can startup and shutdown the database. Here is why I am confused,

1. I did grant SYSDBA,SYSOPER to TEST but when I log in as TEST in management server, I still can't have the option to shutdown the database.
    2. Even if I was able to shutdown the database, how am I supposed to startup the database if I can't even connect the database since it's down.

Please advise.

No offense but I think you are not just confused with OEM, rather Oracle in general

TEST is Management Server user NOT Database user and who can startup or shutdown a database? Database user obviously

If you said I am confused about Oracle that's ok b/c I think I misinterpretted what I want to say.

I do have TEST user on Management server and I also have TEST user in the database with SYSDBA, SYSOPER granted to TEST.

on the management server, I logged as TEST and when I need to connect to the database of course I need to log in as the user which exists on the database which is also TEST in my case, but the problem is I can't shutdown nor startup the database.

well it also depends if you have connected your TEST user with SYSDBA or SYSOPER privileges

Pando,

thanks, I didn't log in as SYSDBA.

The second question is if the database is shutdown, how can I startup the database from OEM????

thanks again