DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replication(snapshot group)ORA-23313

You still seem to be confusing/combining snapshot and multi-master replication.

A snapshot does not need replication support generated, but you'll need a materialized view log on the source site (would be created automatically when you create the snapshot). For normal snapshots it is a "pull" environment. You create a table on orcl. On pora, you create a snapshot, and when you want the snapshot updated, you use API's or a job to pull the new data from the source table at orcl.

With multimaster, each node is a master and any changes in the table will be pushed to the other nodes. In this environment, one node has to be the Master Definition Site (MDS) which controls the definition of a replication group. If you create a multimaster group SCOTT_MG at orcl, orcl is the MDS for that group. If you want the group to be added to pora, you can't go to pora and ask it to pull the group from orcl. If you do, you'll get an error telling you that pora is not the master for the group (what you got above). You need to execute dbms_repcat.add_master_database from orcl and tell it to add pora as a master for the group.

If you just want a source site and a snapshot site, you don't need to set up a master group at orcl, or generate replication support, etc. You'll want the source table at orcl, and the snapshot at pora. If you had multiple snapshots on pora, you could create a refresh group so they all refresh together, but that's different from a master group.

Look at this documentation (requires technet account)

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...a96567/toc.htm

Chapter 2 explains multimaster replication, chapter 3 explains materialized view (snapshot) replication.

Also look at note 120093.1 in Metalink.

Hi ,
    Thanks first of all. yes I am trying to create a hybrid environment because my requirement is updateable snapshots.Readonly snapshots work very well like U mentioned.For updateable snapshots U need snapshot groups which should correspond to master groups at master site.

And it's always possible to have a hybrid environment having multi master and snapshot sites working together.I have already gone thru all these stuffs in oracle documentation.

In mycase orcl is the MDS and I want pora to be a snapshot site having a snapshot group corresponding to orcl's master group i.e., SCOTT_MG.
    Thanks again,Pl reply if got any Idea.

bye

Yes hybrid environments and updateable snapshots are fine as long as it's set up correctly. Assuming you don't want SCOTT_MG (the multimaster group) on pora, and want a materialized view group on pora instead, try something like this.

(on pora)
    CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW schema.updateable_view FOR UPDATE AS
    SELECT * FROM schema.table@orcl;

BEGIN
    DBMS_REPCAT.CREATE_MVIEW_REPGROUP (
    gname => 'scott_mg',
    master => 'orcl',
    propagation_mode => 'ASYNCHRONOUS');
    END;
    /

BEGIN
    DBMS_REPCAT.CREATE_MVIEW_REPOBJECT (
    gname => 'scott_mg',
    sname => 'schema'
    oname => 'updateable_view'
    type => 'SNAPSHOT',
    min_communication => TRUE);
    END;
    /

Add whatever other snapshots to the group with create_mview_repobject.
    Last edited by pwoneill; 04-22-2003 at 03:42 PM.

Hi ,
    thanks and its too late today.
    tomorrow I'll use your tips and will let U know if still any probs are there.thanks again.
    But I have read in oracle documentation that every snapshot group should corespond to a master group and tables in snapshot group should be a subset of master group's objects .anyway tomorrow I 'll let U know .
    Bye

Yes you're right about the groups corresponding, I had forgotten since I haven't used updateable snapshots much. I edited above.

Hi,

Like U mentioned This-

-------------------------------------------------------
    BEGIN
    DBMS_REPCAT.CREATE_MVIEW_REPGROUP (
    gname => 'scott_mg',
    master => 'orcl',
    propagation_mode => 'ASYNCHRONOUS');
    END;
    /
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I was using the same procedure to create a snapshot group and this scott_mg is a master group already created in master site.then I encountered this error
    ora-23313 -scott_mg is not mastered at orcl

Tell me like U told I was combining multimaster and snapshot replication,but as far as my know how says -to create any updateable snapshot one need to create a snapshot group which should correspond to a master group created on master site.

THAT'S WHY I HAD TO CONFIGURE A MASTER SITE ON ORCL AND CREATED A MASTER GROUP NAMED SCOTT_MG ON ORCL.ALSO I HAVE CRAETED A SNAPSHOT SITE AT PORA AND CONFIGURED THE USERS NAMED SNAPADMIN .ALSO ADDED THE NECESSARY DB LINKS TO MASTER SITE USERS NAMED AS REPADMIN AND PROXY_REFRESHER.

SO NOW WHAT'S THE PROBLEM IN MY CONFIGURATION ?WHY THE ERROR 0RA-23313 IS COMING.

BYE

Are you sure that orcl is the master definition site for SCOTT_MG? You can look in the dba_repsites view to find out. On orcl

select master from dba_repsites where gname = 'SCOTT_MG' and masterdef='Y';

Hi Pat,
    I was out of station yesterday,so could not respond to your query.
    Yes the masterdef site is ORCL.but one thing I am littlebit afraid ,
    at snapshot site the dbname is pora and the sid is orcl.is it causing some conflicts?

In study materials of replication I studied the global_names should be set to true at both snapshot and master sites.
    (the dblinks will be of same name as db)
    but if I do so,

select * from employee@orcl;
    orcl-dblink to master site.
    error-(orcl links to oracle.)

so i set global_names=false at snapshot site and true at master site.then the dblink works fine.

can u get a better picture of the situation now?
    bye
    and thanks for all help.

Hi pat,
    may be U R not there or might be busy,if U find some time try to answer back
    bye

Is it caz of 8i personal edition? I read somewhere replication not possible with personal edition....