DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Video Database in Oracle

Video Database in Oracle

Hello i am a university student doing a oracle assignment. at present i am to do a database on a video shop. i have so far started this assignment however in my database i would like to store history of members so i can see what video/dvd they have loaned. so far i have created the folowing tables in oracle:

Members-details on members
    Video-video details
    Stock-copies of videos as u have more than one copy of one video

somehow i am suppose to loan videos out to customers and make a copy of the video loaned in my database so i can view what they have hired in the last two months or so.

any suggestions any one

thank you
    Kabir Hussein

My complete answer would be to imagine yourself within the business environment.

Think about all the entities that exist in the environment -- member, person permitted to use member's card, dvd, video, shelf. Think of the attributes of those entities -- customer's address, video rating, video format (could be DVD! could be widescreen edition)

Think about all the actions that can be taken -- check out a movie, return a movie, pay a fine, pay a regular fee. think of the attributes of the actions -- who took part in it, when did it occur, method of payment etc.

When you understand all of this you can construct a proper logical model for business. Do the thinking first, then start creating tables, 'cos otherwise you'll be thrashing around creating and recreating tables as you discover they don't meet your requirements
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Re: Video Database in Oracle

In my video/DVD shop they have no database :-) I wonder will they get Oracle if they decide to do so...
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

obviously no but since it´s a school assigment i think noone cares if a video store can buy Oracle or not