DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please help me in getting books on performance tuning.

Sorry, my do-it-and-then-lookup-the-error-message method of programming won't be what you want! I use Scott Urman's Oracle Press book as a PL/SQL reference.

For DB architecture - well, my first lessons were at the feet of a master, after that any books were an anticlimax. My recommendation would be to find something strong on Entity-Relationship modeling. IMHO if you get the E-R model right, the rest should follow. E-R models have two important merits:
    1) An intelligent user can understand them and therefore they can be used as tools for analysis.
    2) If the E-R is good, the normalisation looks after itself (mostly).
    Last edited by DaPi; 04-15-2003 at 08:59 AM.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis : Techniques for Experimental Design, Measurement, Simulation, and Modeling
    - RAJ JAIN
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...0768?vi=glance

The best book in market for system performance analysis...

This one is not on oracle but gives the over all system performance tuning concepts...

If you company is buying in bundles you can ask for this one too, its quite costly...

A very old book but still referred by many...
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Originally posted by hrishy

3)Tom Kyte he is also very good
    Mandatory.

4)Don Burelson

One caveat about his statspack book. Good if you want to write your own statspack reports. Not so good explaining the default report.

5)Ahmed Almori Unix specific
    Mandatory reading for Oracle on Unix.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks for the plug, Hrishy, but no, I never finished the book. I'm stuck at around 230 pages right now and have been for a while. I refuse to say it's dead but it is on life-support :(.

As for Niemic's book, that's one I'd stay far away from, at least for its SQL and PL/SQL content, which is practially worthless. The DBA stuff may be fine, but that's not my expertise, so I can't judge, but I'd say the odds are against it.

- Chris
    Christopher R. Long
    ChrisRLong@HotMail.Com
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong

Well i find Jonathan Lewis "Practical Oracle 8i" good enough. Thats one more book you should have in your bookshelf other than "Expert One on One Oracle", "SQL High Performance Tuning"

And to be honest i never manage to finish a book front to back... Mostly use them for references.
    Amar

Originally posted by adewri
    And to be honest i never manage to finish a book front to back... Mostly use them for references.
    I would however recommend to curl up in an armchair (winter) or hammock (summer) and look at (not read) every page - that way you know what is possible, even if you can never remember how to do it. (This I find is the advantage of paper over html or pdf - they either put me to sleep or give me a headache!)
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Originally posted by chrisrlong
    As for Niemic's book, that's one I'd stay far away from, at least for its SQL and PL/SQL content, which is practially worthless. The DBA stuff may be fine, but that's not my expertise, so I can't judge, but I'd say the odds are against it.
    Don't wory, Chris, the DBA stuff in that book is even worse, IMHO. I've already ranted about Niemic's book in this forum couple of times and I'll say it again: by far the worst book about Oracle tuning I came accross!
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Sorry for the late reply. Oracle PL/SQL Programming is one book witten by two authors (Feurstein and Pribyl).

If I were you I'd listen to steve adams.......
    http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/

You can just buy all of these and you'll be very happy.

Steven's book is good but you must have pl/sql &suppl.packages pdf's alongside.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Originally posted by Tarry
    If I were you I'd listen to steve adams.......
    http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/

You can just buy all of these and you'll be very happy.

Steven's book is good but you must have pl/sql &suppl.packages pdf's alongside.
    Steve Adams book "Oracle8i Internal Services" is mere 100 pages but the contents are too heavy. An excellent book for oracle internals.
    Amar