Hi,

I received a message from our hosting party that the Internet application, which is hosted there, was running out of memory. I'm not an UNIX guy ( just know some basics ) but I like to know what is happening or what could be the problem.

They're running on 2 Sun Solaris 8 as IAS and DB server ( Oracle 9ir2 running on 5 disks ( 1 os , 4 storage ( separate storage cabinet ))) 600 Mhz CPU and 2 Gb of RAM. Our 3 databases are across the storage disks and the rest is running normal ( only the open_cursor param is set to 20000 and the sessions are raised up to 200 ) in archive mode.

At the moment we have just 1 application running on 1 DB accessed by 5-10 logins at the time (belonging dbf file is just 150 Mb)

What could happen if there is a message "running out of memory" ?

I know memory must be allocated to some Oracle processes (but do not know how or what) and heard about some kernel parameter settings(?).

So I'm not an UNIX guy (yet)and I can not advise the thirt party where to look for. You may think we have to switch form hosting party and you may be right.....(!!).

Please let me know something and if you need more information please ask. (this is a very delicate thing right now ( end their contract (due to incompetence) and switching over to some other hosting party).

Regards, GKRamer (Guus)