DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Creating a database using OEM

Creating a database using OEM

Hi,

One of my colleagues can not believe that creating a database is restricted by using the “Databases Configuration Assistant” on the server itself. Due to safety reasons this server is not accessible outside the System Administrator.

What could be the philosophy of not be able to create a database in (the browser version) of OEM? Or is there a way of creating a new database from OEM (browser version or not) not using a SQL script afterall?

Please let me know…

Regards, GKramer

It is totally rediculous that u have restrictions on creating database through database configuration ASSt.
    Each tool have its own use.U cannot create database through OEM.If the DBA doesn't have the access to the server then what the hell they kept it there for.

Akhadar,

My colleague is still not convinced about your answer. If you can not access the Oracle server (physically) this will be a big problem if this server is in China !!! How can I create a database on an Oracle server that is at the other side of the world without having physically access to this server (using VPN, terminal session or WAN) or have to travel a lot (while this server is for instance in a sealed or locked area). For him this is not logic at all and gives some examples about SQL server or other databases he knows which are able to create a database from a distance.

Curious about your next reply.

Gkramer.

If u have terminal services facilities at your site and the OS is Windows u can log into the server any corner of the world then u can able to do what ever u want on this server.Which iam using at present to manage some servers which are located remotely.

Akhadar,

So if I'm not able to access the server physically my job as a BDA is limited to the size of an popuped user?
    No physically access to the Oracle server no creation of a database??

I hope I can convice my colleague....

GKramer.

To all other readers of this question ( 25 in the last 30 minutes) please comment on this !!!!!

unix rulez isnt it

Pando,

Unix ....my experience ... The UNIX (Sun Solaris 8) used for our Internet application ( hosted , Ora 91r2 and IAS ) is crashing almost weekly, but no hard feelings ( to all the Unix cracks in the world ) I'm not a UNIX expert just experiencing other mans work in combination with UNIX....

Gkramer.

well that´s because you use IAS, the crappest of craps

unix I need a lght telnet session or ssh session and we can create database :0

OEM, slow, use big bandwith, have you thought what happens if you lose the connection in the middle of a database creation? (if it supports database creation?) That for example would not happen in UNIX, I screen my session and voila!

Hi there,

I manage 3 oracle 9i databases at my current site, but the rest of the 20 databases are managed remotely using terminal services. I havent encountered any problems while creating or setting up these databases provided the vpn link is working fine. If you have network problems, then that will be a big issue.

Thomasp,

The issue here is whether or not I need physical access (VPN, terminal session, WAN) to the Oracle server to start op the “Databases Configuration Assistant” for creating a new database

or

If it can be done trough OEM ( browser version or not ).

As a DBA I can not convince the “System administrator” that he has to grant me access (on OS level) to access the server itself to start up the wizard for creating a database.

Please help me convince him....

Gkramer.