DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oralce Replication Manager vs. SharePlex

Oralce Replication Manager vs. SharePlex

Hi, gurus
    Has anyone ever used Quest replication tool, SharePlex? is it reliable comparing to oracle's replication manager? I would appreciate if anyone could shed some lights on this. Thanks.
    P.S. we are curently evaluating which tool to go with.

D.F
    Still learning

I used shareplex.
    It is stable and reliable to me. It is easy to manage also. Oracle replication need to have primary key in tables to be able to replicate (or at least you have to know what is a primary key). I think oracle replication use internal triggers to replicate tables. Shareplex read the log file to do replication.

xyz2000

Originally posted by xyz2000
    I used shareplex.
    It is stable and reliable to me. It is easy to manage also. Oracle replication need to have primary key in tables to be able to replicate (or at least you have to know what is a primary key). I think oracle replication use internal triggers to replicate tables. Shareplex read the log file to do replication.

xyz2000
    The mathods SharePlex uses do not give the possibility to replicate several DDL-statements such as droping a table, altering the structure of the database, etc.

SharePlex is a system for regeneration of SQL-statements.

Libelle is good.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

I only used snapshot replication for oracle. I don't think it can replicate DDL use snapshot replication. I never set up oracle master replication. so I don't know if oracle can replicate DDL. Can some one tell me if oracle replication can replicate DDL?

xyz2000

well at least shareplex is a much superior technology than replication

Well Pando please tell us atleast 2 or three big advantages over ORacle replication manager . Really I don't know. In our DBA home room we got a big discussion on this topic. Just trying to understand big advantages of shareplex.
    Raghu

When network is down, shareplex will stop some process. when network is up, shareplex will restart that process again. Since it only read the log file, it will have less performance impact on production database. While oracle use internal triggers to do replication, it do slow down production database.
    Why do you need replication? If one of your database is readonly, then, use standby database. I was told in oracle 9i, standby database can open for read and under recover mode at same time, although I never set it up myself. I am still using oracle 8i.

xyz2000