DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need help in importing a dump file

Angry Need help in importing a dump file

Hi friends

I need to import a dump file which was created from oracle 9i export utility.

I have newly installed oracle9i server on windows 2000 server.I have not created any database on this machine.Only starter database was created whicle installing oracle 9i.

My question is what are the steps that i have to take while importing the dump file in to this machine,like Do i need to create a new database on this machine,Do i need to create a new oracle user.
    If i have to create a new schema for importing this dump file,then what are the steps i have to do.

Please help in this issue,since this is the first job as an oracle DBA for me.

Thanks in Avance,
    sknaidu

RTFM
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Thumbs up Re: Need help in importing a dump file

Originally posted by SKNaidu
    Hi friends

I need to import a dump file which was created from oracle 9i export utility.

I have newly installed oracle9i server on windows 2000 server.I have not created any database on this machine.Only starter database was created whicle installing oracle 9i.

My question is what are the steps that i have to take while importing the dump file in to this machine,like Do i need to create a new database on this machine,Do i need to create a new oracle user.
    If i have to create a new schema for importing this dump file,then what are the steps i have to do.

Please help in this issue,since this is the first job as an oracle DBA for me.

Thanks in Avance,
    Hi
    No u need not create a new database for importing.The starter database will do.
    U will need a user who is going to have the contents of the dmp file in his schema.alternatively u can import into any of the existing users(but creating a user is recomended).
    Cheers
    Murali

Re: Need help in importing a dump file

Originally posted by SKNaidu
    Hi friends

since this is the first job as an oracle DBA for me.

Before implementing your first job go through the manuals there it explains clearly what u need to do even after that u got any errors then post it here.