DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 9i Home Edition and Windows XP

Oracle 9i Home Edition and Windows XP

I am about to buy a computer with Windows XP Home Edition and I want to load Oracle 9i Home Edition on there. Does anyone know if there are any issues with that? Someone told me that I should pay the extra $200 to buy the XP Professional Edition. Thanks.

AFAIK, Oracle certification is only for XP prof - and I heard howls of anguish from people who have tried and failed using XP home. Perhaps someone out there knows how . . . .
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

tou need xp prof, but microsoft were recently doing a rebate on the upgrade -- $75 i believe if you bought a machine with xp home edition and an upgrade to prof at the same time.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

I hate XP -

I went for this XP Home edition: Started the problems that I never had on my w2k.
    I have a bios problem every now and then. There are one or the other error croping up always.In no time you feel that you want to go back to WinNT or 2000 ( I am degrading the OS to 2000 some time next week). Also, Oracle is not supported for XP Home edition. Your best bet would be xp-pro or win 2000 (Unless MS decides to do away with 2000).

Badrinath
    There is always a better way to do the things.

Thanks.

Thanks for your help. It looks like Windows XP Professional.

just to stick my nose in, i run 9iR2 on XP Home edition without a problem

maybe i got lucky