DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Slow Oracle Shutdown

Angry Slow Oracle Shutdown

Good day,
    We are running Oracle 8i database in Unix HP environment. Recently it has been discovered that shutdown process in normal mode takes forewer. Shutdown abort has to be invoked in order for a database to be shutdown. Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance

"shutdown immediate" should do it.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Don't forget that if you use shutdown normal Oracle waits for all currently connected users to disconnect from the database before shutdown.

First thing I would do is check for any third party monitoring tools agents jobs or back ground jobs which will be continuously running and never let your datbase to come down in normal/immediate modes.
    Reddy,Sam

Originally posted by sreddy
    First thing I would do is check for any third party monitoring tools agents jobs or back ground jobs which will be continuously running and never let your datbase to come down in normal/immediate modes.
    Setting NORMAL option asside for obvious reasons, no third party agent or back ground job that is "continuously" running on the database should have a particular influence on the speed/ability to perform SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE.

Of course there is allways the possibility for us to hit some bug while performing shutdown immediate that could prolong the actual shutdown time to something very close to infinity - there were many bugs related tu shutdown immediate with various releases in the past....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    Setting NORMAL option asside for obvious reasons, no third party agent or back ground job that is "continuously" running on the database should have a particular influence on the speed/ability to perform SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE.
    True in theory, and used to think the same way, but not in practise. I have hit multiple times on my installations when I checked and killed those sessions after cancelling the shutdown process and retried the database came down in no time. This is what I can interpret from what I had hit before.

Could be a bug with tool also....
    Last edited by sreddy; 04-03-2003 at 05:07 PM.
    Reddy,Sam

Myself I got a problem with enterpise manager console on wondows 2000 machine when I connected to it . I can't do shutdown normal it is taking for ever if I connected through enterpise manager console. If i disconnected from that I can do shutdown . Anyway this is not happening every time . But happed to me.
    Raghu

'Shutdown abort' is a very inelegant way to kill the database. I think you should use a 'shutdown abort' only when there is not another way to shutdown the database. For instance you have applied a shutdown immediate and the server doesn't response after a lot of time.
    Remember that after doing a normal startup and shutdown will allow you to know if the database is going to operate correctly after a 'shutdown abort'. Shutdown abort will crash your database.

* If you use a normal shutdown, the database will not go down until all connected users have finished all their work and also they have been disconnected by themselves from the database.

* You can use a 'shutdown immediate' if you don't wan't to wait the users finish their jobs. I use this option in my night's coldbackups because I know the users are not working in that moment so it's a good option.
    If you use a shutdown immediate, the current transactions of the users will be automatically rolled back and after that the users will be disconnected automatically from the database.

* If you use a shutdown transactional the database will not go down until all connected users have finished all their current work (current transactions). After that they will be disconnected automatically from the database.

Regards

I have seen sometimes execesive time to shutdown a database with immediate option when it was dictionary managed tablespaces with pctincrease > 0 (include RBS and TMP ).

Cheers