DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: professional opinion

Question professional opinion

Hi guys. I need some feedback please. I'm looking at a product called AutoDBA. It's a Database Management tool that has similar features to other products in the marketi.e. reporting, drill-down capabilities, notification and tuning. It also has a feature called Auto-Solve that will allow automation to discover and repair problems such as storage and extent management, chaining and object rebuilds as well as analyzing the data. Once a problem is discovered, PL/SQL scripts are generated and can be automatically executed as the DBAs comfort level increases.

What I'd like to know is what if any experiences you've had with these type of tools and what your general feelings are.

Thanks in advance for your time !

Deploy it in 'development', if satisfied then do so on 'production'.

Moreover, check whether the tool can manage/handle or be configured for your version of database, as certain params change between versions.

opinion: no tool can replace a human whatever be the level of AI build into it.

HTH.

I have my own philosophies on third-party tools for my environment, but if they help you manage yours with less effort, go for it!
    Jeff Hunter

Re: professional opinion

Originally posted by DBA2147
    Once a problem is discovered, PL/SQL scripts are generated and can be automatically executed as the DBAs comfort level increases.
    Well, as long as you regard this as version zero of the changes to apply . . . . I would be surprised if my confort level would increase - the more I learn, the more I would distrust any automatic DBA activity.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

thanks

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate the feedback it will help me as I go through this process !