DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing a patch 9.0.1.4 on production server

Installing a patch 9.0.1.4 on production server

Hi All
    I need to install the cumulative patch Oracle 9.0.1.4 on the production by today at any cost. First, I need to prepare a document of the plan (to install this patch) including all backup and restoration plans in case we have to back out this patch and resulting database changes.
    Does any one have any document for this on-hand which tells about all the measures taken care before, after and while installing the patch. B'coz this is on production and also peak time. We can't take any chances. Where can i download this patch from ?? OTN??

Thanks
    PNRDBA

Hi Pnrdba

First of all take a deep breath and relax..this DBA job is always like this..so stop worrying..

Take a backup of the oracle home that is the oracle software..so just in case something goes wrong you can fall back on it..

First of all apply this patch on the test environment which is identical to your production.. (i hope you have one)

Now do some tests wheather your application works properly

If everything is fine go ahead and apply that patch on production environment

The patch has to be downloaded from metalink.oracle.com..you should have brought paid metalink support for that

The patch which you will download from metalink will have a readme file with it

keep your cool n best of luck

regards
    Hrishy

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions hrishy.... I'll follow as you said. hhmmmmm lots and lots of pressure feeling really... managers are on my neck hrishy.......

Thanks once again.
    PNRDBA

Hi hrishy, Can i install the patch online on my server when people are working, and i want to remind you, there server is in remote area US. will it be fine if i install it on-line?? Shall i take a whole backup once before doing this??

Thanks
    PNRDBA

Originally posted by hrishy
    Hi Pnrdba
    Take a backup of the oracle home that is the oracle software..so just in case something goes wrong you can fall back on it..
    Here i would add, take a backup of database as well, thats very important. because once your database is patched, only way to revert back in case of error is to restore from the backup.

HTH
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Originally posted by pnrdba
    Hi hrishy, Can i install the patch online on my server when people are working, and i want to remind you, there server is in remote area US. will it be fine if i install it on-line?? Shall i take a whole backup once before doing this??

Thanks

Hi

well you should backup the database too.as amar said..thanks amar for pointing out..thats very important..I dont think so you can apply a patch online..you will have to shutdown the databse and listeners as well..Just go through the readme first for that patch..wishin you the best

regards
    Hrishy

Hrishy
    When i'm trying to search for a patch, i'm unaware of the patch number to be given. I've to add a cumulative patch oracle 9.0.1.4 to my present oracle 9.0.1. Do you have any idea of this patch number??

Thanks for your best wishes
    PNRDBA

Hi PNRDBA

The patchset number is 2517300 .Search metalink..click on patches button and then ttype that number

You can also directly call oracle's metalink services ..the first time i had been to metalink it was very very confusing for me..

I am leaving for the day..you can call this toll free number which a oracle call center

000 117 800 7111

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 03-28-2003 at 08:22 AM.

Re: Installing a patch 9.0.1.4 on production server

Originally posted by pnrdba
    Hi All
    I need to install the cumulative patch Oracle 9.0.1.4 on the production by today at any cost. First, I need to prepare a document of the plan (to install this patch) including all backup and restoration plans in case we have to back out this patch and resulting database changes.
    Does any one have any document for this on-hand which tells about all the measures taken care before, after and while installing the patch. B'coz this is on production and also peak time. We can't take any chances. Where can i download this patch from ?? OTN??

Thanks
    Don't worry buddy! Patching Oracle is safe. I have patched 100s of databases, never had a problem with a single patch!

Remember that you cannot however deinstall a patch. Meaning if you patched Oracle from 9.0.1.3.0 to 9.0.1.4.0 and someone wants you to downgrade to 9.0.1.3.0, then all you can do is reinstall Oracle 9.0.1.0.0 and patch to level 3.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Re: Re: Installing a patch 9.0.1.4 on production server

Originally posted by julian
    Remember that you cannot however deinstall a patch. Meaning if you patched Oracle from 9.0.1.3.0 to 9.0.1.4.0 and someone wants you to downgrade to 9.0.1.3.0, then all you can do is reinstall Oracle 9.0.1.0.0 and patch to level 3.
    Better would be to keep a backup copy of the oracle software itself before applying the next level patch. That would save you from reinstalling and the reapplying patches.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!