DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: impact when TIMED_STATISTICS = TRUE

impact when TIMED_STATISTICS = TRUE

Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot a strange problem that one of two databases on a physical server sometimes does not allow any connections anymore, not even CONNECT / AS SYSDBA from the console. To see if there are any issues with the troubled database, I installed Statspack to monitor the DB. However, since the connection problem can not be reproduced in a predictable manner, I intend to do statspack every 1/2 hour until it refuses connections again. This may not happen in a month or longer.

My question is: are there any issues (performance, spaces, etc) I should watch out if I set TIMED_STATISTICS=TRUE for a long period of time? I searched through Oracle docs but did not find concrete answers on the impact of TIMED_STATISTICS.

Thanks,

Re: impact when TIMED_STATISTICS = TRUE

Originally posted by a128
    My question is: are there any issues (performance, spaces, etc) I should watch out if I set TIMED_STATISTICS=TRUE for a long period of time? I searched through Oracle docs but did not find concrete answers on the impact of TIMED_STATISTICS.
    You won't notice any performance diference with TIMED_STATISTICS set to TRUE or FALSE. There's no other issues either. I have it turned on on all the databases all the time.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by a128
    Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot a strange problem that one of two databases on a physical server sometimes does not allow any connections anymore, not even CONNECT / AS SYSDBA from the console. To see if there are any issues with the troubled database, I installed Statspack to monitor the DB. However, since the connection problem can not be reproduced in a predictable manner, I intend to do statspack every 1/2 hour until it refuses connections again. This may not happen in a month or longer.

Thanks,
    Is ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit directory almost full? When full, then even connect / as sysdba is impossible. How many processes do you allow? How many semaphores do you have on that box?
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

one of two databases on a physical server sometimes does not allow any connections anymore
    what exactly happens? Do you get an error message, does SQL*Plus just hang etc?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE