DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle names questions

oracle names questions

I have set up a names server on a machine that was under utilized, and managed to load it with the local tnsnames server ok, and connected to it from a client machine, my workstation.

So I thought I'd set another one up on my workstation for added redundancy, so I created another one ok, and set it up in net8 as my 2nd preferred names server.

My problem is that I cant get the 2nd server to see the first server, or vice versa. When discover other names servers fails I cant even manually point it to it and have it see it.

I must be missing something here, but I don't know what. I followed the docs as close as I could, but they assume you use a region database and I'm not, however this should not make any difference.
    Glen A. S.

Post Oracle9i (i.e., 10i), Oracle Names will be obsolete. As Oracle Names is being deprecated in favor of directory naming with LDAP-compliant directory servers

http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracl...ily/jun26.html

Oracle 8i supports LDAP. It would be wise not to "Invest" in Oracle Names.
    alapps

Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick Two(2)

Yes, I realize that, but I have only recently updgraded all of our databases to 8i, and 9i is a ways off yet, so I will be getting a lot of "mileage" out of oracle names, and in any case, want to get it up and running regardless. After that I'll start implementing LDAP and totally phase out local naming, there is no reason that I cant implement both names and directory naming.

The documentation on this has not been able to solve the problems I'm having, and I was hoping someone in the group would have some pointers

TIA
    Glen A. S.