DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Problem with mutating table

Talking Problem with mutating table

Hi everybody.

I´ve met a curious error while trying to fire a procedure from several triggers.

The statement is quite easy... All I want is to fire a procedure that tracks al the rows in a table that have the same value in a certain field that the row/s modified (inserted,updated or deleted).

So... I´ve made three after triggers for each row in the table so if any row changes in the table, a procedure that makes a query to view what rows whith this special value are left in the table is fired.

This has generated an ORA-04091 error, alerting that the table must be mutating and my procedures/triggers may not view it. I´ve readed in some internet database sites where people says that this problem will be fixed making before triggers instead of after ones.

I´ve tried but... however there is no error, my procedure does not retrieve all information, because it doesn´t view the last row changing (inserted, updated or deleted) in the table.

Any suggestion?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bardo.

Mutating table problem = bad design problem, IMHO.
    Build the procedure into a background job and let the triggers notify the job about the values.
    Use dbms_alert or dbms_pipe to notify the job.
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys

Re: Problem with mutating table

Originally posted by Bardo

So... I´ve made three after triggers for each row in the table so if any row changes in the table, a procedure that makes a query to view what rows whith this special value are left in the table is fired.

This has generated an ORA-04091 error, alerting that the table must be mutating and my procedures/triggers may not view it.
    This could be happening because you procedure is using DML statements that includes the table that fires the trigger.

If you wanna reference some value for a column in the row of the table that actually fires the trigger, you can use the ld and :new keywords to get it.

HTH

Start using Autonomous transaction that solves mutating table error.