DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: maxextents to Unlimited

maxextents to Unlimited

Hi,

We are running into maxextents problem occasionally, and this results in frozen updates or batch jon failures, etc.
    I was suggesting that we should set maxextents to unlimited, whereas my co-worker believes that maxextents should never be set to unlimited.

Are there any serious implications in setting maxextents to Unlimited?

Thanks
    Vj

Re: maxextents to Unlimited

Originally posted by Nugpot
    , whereas my co-worker believes that maxextents should never be set to unlimited.
    I think I've heard this in a song somewhere: "It was 1980 something in the world that I grew up in...".

Bring your co-workers into the 21st century. There are certain times when you may want to limit your maxextents (although I can't think of a reasonable one), but for general database use, set the maxextents to unlimited to mainain your service level. Sure, if something is growing really fast you may want to resize and move it to another device, but stop the application because you reached 121 extents, come on...
    Jeff Hunter

Well, not really. You can blow out your tablespace and ultimatly cause the same problem.
    First make sure you next extent size is sized properly, then proceed.
    If it is set too small, increase it.

Another question to ask is "what are they doing" was there a new data load put in place, is this above the norm for growth? did they inform their DBA? Ect...

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.