DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Init.ora file

Init.ora file

Hi,
    Just a little question.

I would like to know with which init.ora file is my database started (because I've 3 init file on my server). Does it exist a system view to know it ? Or a tips ?

If you are on Unix U will find it in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs and follow the symbolic link if any.
    Giani

little precision : oracle 8.1.7

Thanks

Hi,

There is unfortunately no view and I don't think no tip neither.
    Only thing : compare the current parameters with your init files, with a bit of luck ( and if they have not been changed by alter system) you will find which one was used.
    If there is no solution, it is because there is no problem - Shadok -

alrt.log shows the non-default values at startup - there ought to be something there that is different for each init.ora.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

I'm on windows 2000 Server.

In [oracle_home]\database, i've a file called init[sid].ora which redirect to another init[sid].ora file..... but when i verify parameters in this file, they doesn't correspond with parameters in my database.... very strange...

If you start with
    startup pfile=X:\directory\initSID.ora
    then the file used won't be the one in the default location.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

In other words, there is no way to find out what pfile was used to start the instance. It is possible even that the file was altered or doesn't exist anymore.

In [oracle_home]\database, i've a file called init[sid].ora which redirect to another init[sid].ora file..... but when i verify parameters in this file, they doesn't correspond with parameters in my database.... very strange...
    Not so strange... maybe someone changed the pfile without bouncing the database, so none of the changes took effect on the instance.
    An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.
    —Friedrich Engels