DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Determining if a data is an integer or not?

Originally posted by rkeokitv
    Can you tell me what's the purpose of arranging the values "QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM" in that order?
    easy to type.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Well, being the trivia master I am, sometimes the standard keyboard is referred to as the qwerty keyboard. Some people think the Dvorak (named after its inventor, not the layout) is better. If you like the Dvorak keyboard, then you'll probably be speaking Esperanto someday.

Originally posted by stecal
    Jeez, ever look at the keyboard? What is the first letter in the top left corner?
    'A' if you're French ! ! !
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

I'm just trying to select data where the second position is alphabetical(i.e. a-z)

SELECT ename FROM Emp
    WHERE upper(substr(ename,2,1)) BETWEEN chr(65) and chr(90)

- Nandu
    Never give up !

Nanda Kumar - Vellore

Well, being the trivia master I am, sometimes the standard keyboard is referred to as the qwerty keyboard. Some people think the Dvorak (named after its inventor, not the layout) is better. If you like the Dvorak keyboard, then you'll probably be speaking Esperanto someday.
    I too am a master of trivia, and i know that the original tests which "proved" the dvorak keyboard to be superior were carried out by the US Navy in 1944, tests that were carried out by a time-and-motion expert Lieutenant-Commander August Dvorak -- guess what? He owned the patent on the Dvorak keyboard layout.

Tests carried out by the General Services Administration in '56 found qwerty to be superior, which pretty much killed interest in retraining people to dvorak.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

There must be something better than QWERTY (or QWERTZ or AZERTY etc) since that layout was invented to SLOW DOWN typists in the early days when the primitive mechanical typewriters could not keep up.

(In case you were wondering - NO, I don't personally remember that period! Come to think of it - more triva - earliest "typewriting" known? - about 1'500 BC!)
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

. . . . and the k/b on the English language Linotype type-setting machine was ETAOIN. The dies had to fall into place, so the common letters were placed so that they travalled the shortest distance.

I guess Nandu gave us very good query

SELECT ename FROM Emp

You don't need to mention a..z in query
    Raghu

Originally posted by raghud
    I guess Nandu gave us very good query

SELECT ename FROM Emp

You don't need to mention a..z in query
    Hm, I don't know about you, but I would never want to decypher what that that query is supposed to mean if I would find it in my shared pool. Isn't the following variant much more "human"?

SELECT ename FROM Emp
    WHERE upper(substr(ename,2,1)) BETWEEN 'A' and 'Z'
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Isn't the following variant much more "human"?

A touch of Genius ! jmodic you have ur own ways of refining!

- Nandu
    Never give up !

Nanda Kumar - Vellore