DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8000fff Catastrophic Failure

Hybrid View

8000fff Catastrophic Failure

Hi everybody.

I´m new here and also relatively newbie to the Oracle development.
    I have a web application fully functional running over a Oracle 8.1.7 and Windows 2000 Advanced Server that few days ago started to act in a strange manner:

Suddenly all opening connections to the database returns a message of Error 8000fff Catastrophic Failure, but if you reset the IIS and the Oracle, the application returns to be fully functional while you work continuously with it... but if you stop working for a minute or two the error returns

I have not added any new code for at least a couple of weeks, during it the app worked fine, and the error started last Friday without an aparent reason.

I´ve reinstalled IIS and Oracle, but the error stands, no other applications on the same server generates this error (also there aren´t any app using the same Oracle schema).

Do you have any idea or suggestion?
    I´m totally empty of ideas and need help.

Thanks in advance.
    Bardo.

Hi

What is there in the IIS log files ?

regards
    Hrishy

Thanks for answer so fast!

When a Catastrophic Failure error is generated the log inserts at the end of the line this:

"|17|8000ffff|Catastrophic_failure"

The rest of the line is perfectly normal... it signs the ip from where the server is being accessed, the server name, the web page being accessed, the internal ip, the method used, etc...

Say this anything to you?

Hi

It did not make sense to me..did you find somethin starnge with the oracle alert logs..what changed recently..can you remember anything..not code but routers hubs..the newtork or the sysadmins did they change somethin ?can you connect to oracle through sql plus..

regards
    Hrishy

Hi again.

This is the most weird part of the matter.

There is nothing strange that have changed in the last weeks in the system, it´s a development server and the few times that something have to be changed it´s make very cautiously and we (the programmers) are noticed.

Oracle is working fine... I think so. I can connect throught SQL Plus, even can execute querys against the same schema that the application uses.
    There is nothing strange (or menacing) in the Oracle alert logs and other applications in the same server (including the client last copy of the problem app) are working fine.

Another curious data:
    I´ve tried to cross the databases used by the app and the client copy (New and Old from here ) and the Old app with the New database works fine (except because it cracks in points that are not prepared for the New fields, tables, etc...) but the New app with the Old database makes the same Catastrophic Failure errors.

I´ve tried also to make a "testing web page" that makes only a connection to the Oracle server and execute a simple query.
    This page generates the Catastrophic Failure error when the connection is opening, but the connection object is created correctly. And when the IIS/Oracle reset is made this "testing page" works fine a couple of times and generates again the error when I access it after a while without doing.

Can I call Mulder & Scully now? I´m almost convinced that this problem is something paranormal.

Best regards.
    Bardo.

Hi

This is indeed weird...probably you should check some mirosoft or ASP site..

An unexpected exception was thrown. That roughly translates to an
    exception that is not within a try/catch block. Usual culprit is a
    failure return code from a COM method where the server object has
    ISuppportErrorInfo. The client(caller) is supposed to
    catch(_comm_error e) and get information about the failure from it.

there is some discussion about this at

http://p2p.wrox.com/archive/asp_web_...2001-02/44.asp

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 03-18-2003 at 07:35 AM.

Hi.

Ok, I will watch this link carefully, I hope to find some explanation to this chaotic problem.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Best Regards.
    Bardo.