DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Datafiles..

Post Datafiles..

For the tablespace size of > 10GB how many datafiles are recommended in oracle9i/win2k.

Hi

I personally like oracle files of size less than 2Gb..

regards
    Hrishy

is this the limitation of DB /OS ? or recommended size?
    can the datafile be spanned accross diff disks for perf.

Hi

some unixes have problems with files greater that 2GB..but i take this as a general rule for all Unixes inculding NT..they are also easier to backup..i can backup them up in parallel..

regards
    Hrishy

Definitely u have performance improvement if the datafiles on different disk controllers.

will there be any performance bottleneck if we have more datafiles for single tablespace? is it recommended to give auto extend or manually extend the size. what are the precautions to be taken when giving autoextend?.

Originally posted by fordikon
    will there be any performance bottleneck if we have more datafiles for single tablespace? is it recommended to give auto extend or manually extend the size. what are the precautions to be taken when giving autoextend?.

I don't think there will be any bottle necks if u have more datafiles.
    Autoextend is fine but take care to give a max limit.Never give unlimited.Also check for the os limitations

Cheers
    Murali

Originally posted by fordikon
    There will be no bottlenect if you have more datafiles for a single TS, assure that you have span all the Datafile on different disk to avoid I/O, The size of each datafile is OS depanded but dont forget to consider the DBWR Average scan depth.

Auto extend feature will prevent any error which could occor during transaction in case of lack of space, if autoextent is off you have to manually extend the size which could coz delay. If Autoextend is on then maintain the data growth rate and disk space.

Hope it helps..
    NK
    ====================================================
    Stand up for your principles even if you stand alone!
    ====================================================