DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: migrating to RAC

migrating to RAC

Hi

Has anyone got experience migrating in-house application to 9i RAC?
    Did you get better performance? Did you have to change the application code?

cheers

you won't migrate any apps aside from changing any net8 connectivity for transparent application failover. You would have to rebuild the database on raw partitions with a shared file system and supported hardware configuration (certified by hardware vendor).

we are migrating to rac now. essentially we just precreated the db on raw , imported the db, and then changed net8 from the app.

read all of the rac manuals, twice!, if you are considering migrating to rac.

by the way it's on sale now if you can believe that, on a per processor licence you can add $10,000 (usually $20,000) per processor
    on all contributing servers in the cluster.

Oracle says you get better performance but we are implementing for it's ability to scale and a low mean time to recover in the event of a server failure. For us scaling is the big thing, this allows you to buy relative inexpensive windooze or linux servers and just throw more servers at the cluster as you grow as opposed to outlaying a huge investment in a pimped up sun box that may take you 5 years to grow in to. And yes , come to think of it, raw is much faster than a cooked file system.

steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply

What it bothers me is not how to create the database in raw device or any installtion issues, it is really will the application scale as Oracle is marketing....

I have read and researched many whitepapers, websites and of course all of them says RAC is wonderful, except one, yes there is one whitepaper that put RAC in doubts, Unbreakble by James Morle a respectful guru in Oracle community. He showed in the paper how number of waits and locking increases massively in RAC enviroment, it may be because it's the nature of RAC however in the same test he showed the timing difference between a simulated order entry system running in a single instance and RAC and RAC was much much slower!!!!! I understand I should test our application in RAC but the company is not giving me much time, I am the one who has to say are we migrating to RAC or just 9.2.0.1 single instance, but so far I cant find much evidence of why RAC and why not.

Did you test performance issues in your application running in RAC?

hm yea would be nice someone post some experience with in-house apps migration to RAC, I also read that paper by James Morle, who is NOT from Oracle, seems things can get quite tricky (considering how expensive is RAC license )

we are not totally committed to RAC to clarify and over the next few weeks I'll be finishing the PeopleSoft config on RAC and will begin my own testing and user acceptance testing, I'll post updates to tlet you know how it's going.

tks for the note on Unbreakable, I wil give that note a very close look, ir looks like he is trying to dispell the wonder cache fusion *myth*

If you believe the marketing hype then OPS is a dinosaur and RAC involves the most signifcant code rewrite in the past 10 years, but the proof is in the metrics and I'll keep you posted with our progress

Is Peoplesoft certified with RAC?

apparently there is a partnership between the development teams at oracle and PS for RAC. I am two weeks on the job here and apparently the people here are saying that it is, but I am opening a case to peoplesoft nonetheless to make sure.

steve

I am asking because if RAC is transparent to an application I think as long as the product is certified on 9i then it should work on RAC... hmmm so I dunno what's the need of cooperation between a devlopment team in Oracle and one in a third party vendor

unless Oracle is bullsh**ing again saying RAC is transaprent to applications but it is not!

btw, is that you steve on metalink :-?
    http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/..._id=432639.999
    Last edited by pando; 03-15-2003 at 12:53 PM.

Originally posted by pando
    I am asking because if RAC is transparent to an application I think as long as the product is certified on 9i then it should work on RAC... hmmm so I dunno what's the need of cooperation between a devlopment team in Oracle and one in a third party vendor

unless Oracle is bullsh**ing again saying RAC is transaprent to applications but it is not!

btw, is that you steve on metalink :-?
    http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/..._id=432639.999
    yeah that's me on metalink. Maybe it's to baltently obvious to publish but I cannot find and microsft doc that sysas you cannot create more than 32 logical partitions on an extended partition
    but I have looked for days on such a doc and cannot find one

and yeah i agree that RAC should be transparent to the APP
    and if you look through the open world whitepapers and session notes you will see a brief reference to how Oracle is working with PS to ensure that RAC runs smooth with their app