DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remote DBA - expand business

Remote DBA - expand business

Guys,

Speaking about expanding your business and income, if any of you guys try or do the Remote-DBA tasks on top of your daily full-time or contract DBA position. How successful you were so far? Is it works? Where do I have to start? Ofcourse connection and getting the deal I guess is muuuch more important that your Oracle knowledge, but seriously if I want to make some extra Dollars, is it works that I put effort ( creating a web site, cold phone calls, order business card and profile , ... ) to get a deal as Remote DBA and How much is my chance? I just put the Word " Remote DBA " in Google search it came back with I guess hundreds of web sites that Offer remote DBA services
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Oracle Corp offers Remote DBA
    TUSC
    just to name a couple popular ones

I told you if you search Remote DBA words in GOOGLE it comes back with HUNDREDS companies name. Try it. Isn't that terrible for US???

yea, it's terrible. should start look for another kind of job

Nah, not terrible. Competition is always good.

I would advise finding something the other guys don't do and concentrate on that. Find another skill, possibly, and combine that with your DBA skills. For example, combine DBA with PERL programming skills to provide web app development services...or learn IIS and Crystal to provide a dynamic reporting app.

I dunno, just wild ideas - seems being DBA isn't the holy grail it used to be.

Ahhh! Again one of those highly informative and strictly technical discussions!
    Originally posted by farrokhp
    ... Where do I have to start? .... is it works that I put effort ( creating a web site, cold phone calls, order business card and profile , ... ) to get a deal as Remote DBA and How much is my chance?
    My sincere answer would be: forget about it. Forget about both remote or on-site DBA bussiness untill you are comfortable with at least basic concepts about Oracle database. "Database Baby Sitting" maybe, but certanly not "Database Administration". But then again, who on earth would need a remote database baby sitter?

I'm just being sencire. Of course I'm risking again of being accused to be unethical and treacherous.....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

hux you said it, dont rely in one skill, get another kind of job works as well

jmodic I agree with ya so no worries here hehe

Jmodic sorry but I sort of like to a little challnge with you. You sounds insulting again :-) ( Ok I am kidding ) You insulting because you implied that you are not even a DBB ( Database Baby sitter ) and calling me DBA is out of question!!! Is that what you said?

Anyway, if nobody wants a remote DBA then you proposing all these REmote DBA consulting companied just playing with their balls nothing have to do?

Backup you propose with some facts.

Well I dont think jmodic is saying that, what he means (what sounds to me) is if you, farrokhp, wants to work as remote DBA you might as well polish your basic Oracle concepts first or we will see "URGENT" posts everyday hehe

Originally posted by farrokhp
    You insulting because you implied that you are not even a DBB ( Database Baby sitter ) and calling me DBA is out of question!!! Is that what you said?
    I'm not sure if I understand the above correctly, so I'll say very explicitely what I have ment in my previous post:

Based on your posts in this forums (they were only questions from your side, I don't remember you ever supplied any answer for other people's questions) I don't think you, farrokhp, are capable of doing any serious database administration business, no matter if it's remote or on-site.. Database baby sitting probably yes, serious database administration definitely not, IMHO.

But then again, I could be totaly wrong, of course....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?