DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Db_cache_size

Hybrid View

Db_cache_size

I would like to set DB_CACHE_SIZE on my new 9i Databsase. I read it from somewhere that you can set this by multiplying DB_BLOCK_SIZE * DB_BLOCK_BUUFER? Is this true?

My DB_BLOCK_SIZE=8192
    My DB_BLOCK_BUFFER=40996

What's the appropriate DB_CACHE_SIZE?

DB_BLOCK_BUFFER(used in 8i) is replaced by DB_CACHE_SIZE(used in 9i) with more options.

Please Refer To Friendly Manuals
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

You need not multiply and specify this value, but you will know howmuch you wanted to specify by multiplying these values(the way one used to calculate in prev releases)

Even if you specify lower values for db_cache_size, it will round the value to the nearest multiple of standard block size you specified.

In 9i you can specify only one either db_block_buffers(still available for backward compatibility) or db_cache_size. Both are not allowed.

Read docs as suggested by adewri.
    Reddy,Sam

So how can I set the db_cache_size?

db_block_size * db_block_buffer = 335839232

so in my case, db_cache_size = 335839232?

Not to offend you, But most of the times this is the problem. If we post the doc/web link people say its just doc/web link, we need explaination. If we try to explain its not sufficient cuz, people don't read god damn documentation:( IMHO,Its very straight forward if you go to tahiti.oracle.com and pick interested version of documentation link you get a search window where you can search for init.ora parm you are interested in it shows exactly how to specify.

back to your doubt:

you can specify whatever value you want(required) in K/M/G (min value being 48M)there will not be any issues. In your case its going to be 40996*8=327968K So value for

db_cache_size=327968K or 320.28125M or 0.312774658G
    Last edited by sreddy; 03-13-2003 at 10:23 PM.
    Reddy,Sam