DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 100% rely on SPFILE in 9i?

100% rely on SPFILE in 9i?

To change the following parameter, you have to update the init.ora first and re-start the db. Right?

NAME VALUE ISSES_MODI ISSYS_MODI
    ------------------ ---------- ---------- ----------
    log_archive_start FALSE FALSE FALSE

Is this the only way to change this parameter "permanently"? I just wonder if you can use SPFILE to do it? If not, it looks like you cannot 100% rely on SPFILE in 9i. You still need to have a init file updated all the time. Am I right?

have spfile and created in $OH/dbs directory and make sure you set init.ora parameter with scope=Both, which will be persistant in the memory,updates spfile and next time you start database which will use spfile created in $OH/dbs .

Read this link for further info.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...te.htm#1014422
    Reddy,Sam

I know some parameters can be modified dynamically. However, for those cannot be modified dynamically, can you use SPFILE to change them? If yes, how? (I don't think you can use a text editor to modify the SPFILE file.)

make changes to initSID.ora that cannot be done dynamicaly & needs restart of DB,
    startup pfile=initSID.ora...
    recreate SPFILE when DB is open with new prams...

have spfile and created in $OH/dbs directory and make sure you set init.ora parameter with scope=Both, which will be persistant in the memory,updates spfile and next time you start database which will use spfile created in $OH/dbs .
    i dunno if SREDDY meant, the changes made in initSID.ora , after restarting DB, will be reflected in SPFILE as well if scope set to BOTH in initSID.ora.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Originally posted by abhaysk
    recreate SPFILE when DB is open with new prams...
    Code:
    create spfile from pfile;

Hi,
    if your 9i has a spfile then the way to change this permanent is
    Your parameter in this case cannot changed immediately

ALTER SYSTEM [param] = [val] SCOPE=SPFILE;

Then restart db an all is ok.
    You now can create for documentation the init.ora from spfile
    ! If spfile exists then the init.ora is ignored!

Orca

Re: 100% rely on SPFILE in 9i?

Originally posted by dba_admin
    To change the following parameter, you have to update the init.ora first and re-start the db. Right?

NAME VALUE ISSES_MODI ISSYS_MODI
    ------------------ ---------- ---------- ----------
    log_archive_start FALSE FALSE FALSE

Is this the only way to change this parameter "permanently"? I just wonder if you can use SPFILE to do it? If not, it looks like you cannot 100% rely on SPFILE in 9i. You still need to have a init file updated all the time. Am I right?
    ISSYS_MODIFIABLE=FALSE and ISSES_MODIFIABLE=FALSE does not mean that you can not change this parameter in SPFILE with ALTER SYSTEM command. It simply means that the only scope you can specify with ALTER SYSTEM command is "SPFILE". So you can easily change the above parameter in your spfile with the following command:

ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_start=TRUE SCOPE=SPFILE;

Of course the effects will be activated only after the next startup with your spfile.

You don't need any init.ora file to change any parameter in spfile. SPFILE offers you anything you can do with init.ora files and more. You don't need old init.ora files any more if you are using spfile, you can rely 101% on it. The only time you will still need to have init.ora in combination with spfile is when you want to activate your spfile that is stored in non-default location.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

jmodic,

Excellent! You clear all doubt! Thanks!