DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: using Java on oracle 8.1.7

using Java on oracle 8.1.7

My initial goal is to be able to set up my oracle 8.1.7 db so our developers can start working with java. Ultimately I would also like to use JDBC to access a remote db.

I am not a seasoned DBA and have been reading through much documentation but am a little confused as to how to get started. Can anyone detail the setup steps that will help allow my developers to use Java and allow me to connect to remote db's using jdbc? or direct me to a link that will detail this information.

Thanks.

I can give you rough idea about this, I did this long back, I don't remeber fully How I did it, but you can get some clues from it.
    You must be having JDBC driver installed when you install Oracle 817. File classes111.zip and classes12.zip contains JDBC driver, they are under Oracle Home/jdbc/lib directory. In your Java program you have to include these files and use the classes from this.

Again, this may not be fully correct.

Actually that is about as far as I got. I entered the CLASSPATH env. var. under oracle user for classes12.zip. Not quite sure how I can test. Have a test script but how would I run it?

Actually that is about as far as I got. I entered the CLASSPATH env. var. under oracle user for classes12.zip. Not quite sure how I can test. Have a test script but how would I run it?