DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Datafile Error

Originally posted by sanjay_g

No it doesn't. The datafile is unusable because he restored it from the backup taken before the RESETLOGS.
    this is wat Rohit said...

Originally posted by Rohit

but i see one more thing if i loginto the sever form a client and create a table it is successfully creating , sitting in the same system and creating does not allow .

thanks
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

There is no way one can create segments in offline datafile, and I believe it is offline. Let's wait for his reply.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Originally posted by SANJAY_G
    There is no way one can create segments in offline datafile, and I believe it is offline. Let's wait for his reply.
    Hi Sanjay,

Here rohit has already added a datafile to the USERS tablespace and hence able to create the tables from the client.
    What i find confusing is that, he is able to create tables from client connection but not from the server but why ??

Regards
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

gurus..pls correct me if I am wrong.

1. Dropping the datafile and recreating a new one , wont you loose the data?

2.Wont "recover tablespace *tablespace_name*;" work for such a scenario?

3.Export the entire schema and import it to new user with new datafiles..would this help?

Thank you

Originally posted by adewri

What i find confusing is that, he is able to create tables from client connection but not from the server but why ??

Regards
    Exactly. That makes me wonderring too. But may be, he is missig something and it's not just the local connection or remote connection.
    Sanjay G.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Originally posted by aspdba
    gurus..pls correct me if I am wrong.

Of course, you will lose the data. It is advisable only if the datafile is unrecoverable and you are prepared to lose the data.

He can't recover the tablespace because the backup he has is taken before RESETLOGS.

3.Export the entire schema and import it to new user with new datafiles..would this help?

Thank you
    If datafile is offline you can't export the objects in it.

HTH
    Sanjay G.

Yes.

No, datafile restored is before resetlog.

Datafile is corrupted or unusable, so cannot export.
    Amar

Sanjay you beated me by a minute
    Amar

Hi all ,
    Thanks for all the replies. But i still dont understand the problem?
    I want to expalin it again.
    We copied a datafile called users01.dbf from a backup which was taken before resetlogs. This datafile was the only datafile in the Users tablespace. So we could not recover it and we do not have any other copy. So its obvious we were not able to browse any records of the users nor able ot create new tables. So we added a new datafile ot the existing tablespace without dropping the Tablespace and the corrupt datafile.
    Now we have tow datafile users02.dbf and users01.dbf(Corrupted) in the tablespace users. We try to create tables from the system whihc has the database , it does not allow pointing to the error that users01.dbf is not accessible But to our surprise we were able to create tables from another machine . How we came ot know this was we craeted a recovery catalog for a system in this tablespace and all tables get created . We also tried creating a test table from anotehr client and it works , but tables are not getting created from the server. Its so confusing . Pls Do Advice.

Thanks
    Success Consists of Getting Up Just One More Time Than You've Fallen Down
    Be Blessed

I don't believe it is possible to create a table from one place and not from another (server/client) - unless a different userid is being used, that has a setting of a different default tablespace that is available.

That's the only explanation 'I' can think of.

- Tony.