DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What am I getting myself into?

I would like to apologize for barging in to your forum, but I am not quite sure what to do.

I am a Web Designer with more of a technical side than art side.

I am in a start up internet company, and they want me to learn cold fusion and oracle. Because of my enthusiasm not my knowledge.

What am I getting myself into? How long should I expect it to take to learn oracle? Is there anywhere in California (Riverside County) I can go to learn it. Am I in way over my head?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I have worked at a job where ColdFusion was used with Oracle as backend. I was the DBA and never worked directly with ColdFusion, but they do work well together and there are probably plenty of jobs out there for it.

If you have already had experience with Web design, I would think you'll be fine. Go for it!

I dont' know what training is out there for ColdFusion, but I've been told it's fairly easy to learn. As for the Oracle end, learn SQL and PL/SQL, if you don't already know it. SQL tuning and optimizing is critical in deploying an effective application system. Learning the basic architecture of Oracle would be beneficial too. Those would be the places I'd start if I were you.

Good luck

Maachan

Thank you for your reply. I have started in ColdFusion, and it appears to do-able.

It supports basic SQL statements, so I certainly will look into learning SQL.

What is PL/SQL?

Do you know of places to learn Oracle basics?

Thanks,

tsmlkbaker

Other than this site, try [url]http://technet.oracle.com/[/url] membership is free and they have all the Oracle docs online.

PL/SQL is Procedural Language with SQL embedded.

Take care

Thumbs up

I work myself with ColdFusion and Oracle. If you know VB or VBScript, you will need a day to learn ColdFusion. ColdFusion is a strong language, the only one 100% portable, but less used anymore than asp. ColdFusion do anything than ASP can do. In my opinion is a language for artists, who want to become programmers in only one day, and is not so elegant than ASP because is not procedural. So go for it, it's simple.
    For PL/SQL you need to buy a book in Oracle Press edition about PL/SQL. But how to return cursors from strored procedures on recordsets you will find in websites like
    [url]http://www.learnasp.com[/url]
    P.S if you do simple select from tables, there are no difference if the DB is Oracle or Access the ODBC is the seem, the difference is on back-end processes, triggers, procedures if you have any.
    YOU must subscribe on a mailing list like asporacle@ls.asplists.com, to get help from asp-oracle developpers (subscribe on [url]http://www.asplists.com[/url] site) but for ColdFusion I do not know if there are any communities.

GO FOR IT!

marian

[Edited by dmarian on 11-05-2000 at 10:45 PM]

Thanks

Thank you all for your responses. I will continue to look for help and support. I got a hold of ColdFusion's SkillBuilding CD Tutorial, and it has helped a lot. Access seems easy enough to start, but I know eventually I will need to get involved with Oracle.

Thanks again, and any other advice or tips are more than welcomed.

tsmlkbaker