DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: can i do database recovery until TIME of the time-stamp of last archive log ?

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company

can i do database recovery until TIME of the time-stamp of last archive log ?

hi guys,

If I am going to use recreate controlfile and then perform database recovery until time where time is the time-stamped of my latest available archive log ?? would it work? pardon me for asking this qn as i have limited server to run and test it so i just have to seek some answer here

thanks

Instead of time, I would recover until logseq (whatever your last archived log is +1)
    Jeff Hunter

or recover until cancel.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

hi guys,

thks for ur replies..i have few queries to ur suggestion..

1)how can i recover until logseq? is there such parameter allowed?
    do u mind if u can quote a few eg. here?

2)if we recover until cancel does it know what archive log sequence to start using??

thanks

Sanjay G.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

Hi SanJay,

As I am really not too clear on the part of recreating controlfile with datafiles which are actually hot backups whether after recreating the controlfile and when i perform recovery database does it know which archivedlog to start using??

here i am saying recreating controlfile because i am assumming i lost all controlfile binary backups..solely depend on datafiles hotbackup and archived logfiles...but I am not too sure if a Recover database will know when to start looking for an archived log as I dont have a spare machine to test and was hoping some kind soul that know will provide me an answer here?

thks

Originally posted by ngwh
    but I am not too sure if a Recover database will know when to start looking for an archived log as I dont have a spare machine to test and was hoping some kind soul that know will provide me an answer here?

thks
    "If all control files of a database have been lost or damaged by a permanent media failure, but all online redo logfiles remain intact, then you can recover the database by creating a new control file."

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...scen.htm#11848
    Sanjay G.

Hi Sanjay,

Perhaps I put it in another scenairo..how easily can i "CLONE" the same database with just hotbackup datafiles and archived logfiles only by recreating controlfile...without online redo log..will i be able to do just that?

thks