DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replication

Replication

I'm in the process of creating a reporting 8i database of several tables from several different 8i databases. I was planning to use snapshots but then a requirement of real time data on the reporting database was brought up. I have done something like this in the days of Oracle 8 via a data synchronization C/Pro C program. However, in that case there was quite a bit of business rule enforcement that justified the use of code.

Does anyone have any tips on how this can be done using any built in Oracle mechanisms? Will Advanced Replication work? I've never used it before.

Thanks!

Hi

You should investigate Oracle Enterprise Manager and its GUI tool that can do Advanced replication for you..

Think about adavanced asynchronous replication .Asyncronous advanced replication uses a store and forward mechanism. When I
    insert a row into my local copy of table T, Oracle will store in a queue on the same machine a copy of that transaction. After commit, Oracle will PUSH that copy of that transaction to the remote site and replay it. Hence advanced async replication uses a store and forward mechanism. If the network is down or the remote database is unavailable, transactions are just queued up locally and
    will get propagated when the systems are all available again.

regards
    Hrishy
    Last edited by hrishy; 03-05-2003 at 10:25 AM.

Re: Replication

Originally posted by dre1988
    I'm in the process of creating a reporting 8i database of several tables from several different 8i databases. I was planning to use snapshots but then a requirement of real time data on the reporting database was brought up.
    Maybe the easiest way to implement your reports enforcing the real time data requeriment is using Database Links.

Re: Re: Replication

Originally posted by ccastaneda
    Maybe the easiest way to implement your reports enforcing the real time data requeriment is using Database Links.
    Yes i agree databse links are the easiest and they are real time just forget replication..

regards
    Hrishy