DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there any help for me?

Unhappy is there any help for me?

I started studying for 8idba, passed 1z0-026 (net admin),
    but quit right after that,

I do not have any on the job experience with oracle, other then supporting users working on Peoplesoft runnning on Oracle.

I do not have a job.

I have no clue as to what I should do. but
    I am not stupid.
    I work hard.
    and I have 5 years of Computer support experience.

What advice can yall give me?
    Should I finish 8idba?

Personally, i think you should continue with it.

Like me , i more well verse in MS SQL Server compare to Oracle. But, i will try to strengthen my areas in Oracle. And, i have 4 papers to go in order to be certify for OCP.

Since, you started, just go ahead with it. Dun lose faith and confidence in yourself.

Everybody, is trying to find jobs to be Oracle DBA or DBA. Even, if you dun get jobs like that, it's fine. There's other area, you can look into. That's part and puzzle of life. Sometimes, we never get things done like the way we want. But, life still have to carry on.

Example, now you are doing support role in the company. Pick up the core skills which your company require. From there, talk to your boss, and see whenther in what ways, you can help him or her. Perform other areas, try not to restrain in one area.

Pick up more skills definately will enhance your knowledge and market value,especailly in this industry.

cheers up man.
    MCSE,MCDBA,MCSD,CCNA,CCDA,CCSA,CCSE, MCSA, SCSA, OCP

Hi

I am not sure you should continue or not. The DBA market is almost dead, in the near future DBA will sound less and less so if you decide to continue after you finish I am not sure if you can get a DBA job after your all hard work

I agree with daniel wong ,here. But in the meanwhile keep looking for jobs. With a support experience you can very cleverly shape up/cosmetically upgrade you resume to help you get back to business(read work). And then keep trying, you'll get your lucky break.

Times are challenging but don't lose hope.

All the best.

Tarry
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Originally posted by doraemona
    Hi

I am not sure you should continue or not. The DBA market is almost dead, in the near future DBA will sound less and less so if you decide to continue after you finish I am not sure if you can get a DBA job after your all hard work
    Rubbish. I understand that everyone can write all kind of bull**** over the Internet but this is a serious forum and statements like that will be fought, at least by mean.

See: many language appear and dissappear. I started in 1983 as a Fortran and PL/I programmer, then Assembler... now I am an Oracle DBA. Nobody cares about Fortran nowadays (except in few companies) but administration has alawys been strong, databases will be used in the future and someone needs to tace care of them.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

I agree with Doraemona. DBA market is dead. Of course dead does not mean there wont be any need for DBAs but for example instead of 100 we probably need 5, with existing DBAs already it's hard to get a job. The trend of software companies is getting rid of administration works, it's not that they like to do that, it's the market demand, reduce TCO

Originally posted by Sweetie
    I agree with Doraemona. DBA market is dead. Of course dead does not mean there wont be any need for DBAs but for example instead of 100 we probably need 5, with existing DBAs already it's hard to get a job. The trend of software companies is getting rid of administration works, it's not that they like to do that, it's the market demand, reduce TCO
    Uff, another one. Go to

http://www.it.jobserve.com/jobserve/...1&q=oracle+dba

I got that with the keywords ORACLE DBA.

216 Matching Jobs. What the hell is dead??
    Oracle Certified Master

Originally posted by julian
    Uff, another one. Go to

http://www.it.jobserve.com/jobserve/...1&q=oracle+dba

I got that with the keywords ORACLE DBA.

216 Matching Jobs. What the hell is dead??
    Well saying DEAD is probbaly too strong words. However the DBA market is very saturated. Too many so called themselves "DBAs" when they dont even have some clue about how Oracle works. So advice, you probably better go for developer jobs rather than DBA jobs unless you dont want to find yourself spending time & money for nothing.

Julian however, dont you know nowdays the job you see on job offer web sites are just agencies postings trying to collect CVs and the positions do not actually exist? I would not base job market judgement from these vague web sites like jobserve, monster etc.

A final word, I do see many people want to be an Oracle DBA because they think they are well paid, unfortunately this is not longer true and it's wont be true again.

Relax guys. Indeed, for the past 3 years, the market for Oracle DBA are paying well. Compare now, is not really that good.

Job for Oracle DBA are getting lesser and lesser in my country.

Last time, the pay for Oracle DBA is almost as good around $5k to $6k in my country. But,now they are paying around $2.5 till $3k. So much difference.

We still have to pick up Oracle, coz from the informations we gather, most of the big companies are using Oracle DB, if we dun know the stuff, we might lose the market value and chances to complete with the rest of the ppl.

As we know, the market for SAP is damn good. Paying very well, who know, in a year or two, SAP will just like be Oracle.

That's life. So, we have to keep on learning new technology in order to stay alive in this industry.

Good lucks to all of us.

CheerS!!!!
    MCSE,MCDBA,MCSD,CCNA,CCDA,CCSA,CCSE, MCSA, SCSA, OCP

One reason is that too many people decided to become DBAs. As you said, guys who don't know how Oracle works claim to be Oracle DBAs.

Also, many became "certified" and flooded the market.

IT business is not that good nowadays.

Jobs are really less and less but I don't think that the Oracle DBA market is dead.

I also know that some jobs are fake but as you see from the search there were 216 positions. I don't think that they are all unreal.
    Oracle Certified Master