Is it verify or feedback?
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Is it verify or feedback?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    449

    Is it verify or feedback?

    Hello:

    I am spooling results for some select statements and i want to see the select statement in the spool file, instead of only the result.

    I remembered this as "set verify on" or something.. Tried verify and feedback, but neither shows the desired result..

    Thanks, ST2000

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    greenwich.ct.us
    Posts
    9,095
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    78
    By default you should get select statements as well in spool file. See below:

    SQL> spool sample.output
    SQL> select name from v$database;

    NAME
    ---------
    EMSDB

    SQL> spool off;
    SQL> !more sample.output
    SQL> select name from v$database;

    NAME
    ---------
    EMSDB

    SQL> spool off;
    HTH.
    Shripad Godbole
    OCP DBA (8,8i,9i)

    "Let's document it and call it a feature."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bangalore ( India )
    Posts
    2,434

    Re: Is it verify or feedback?

    Originally posted by st2000
    Hello:

    I am spooling results for some select statements and i want to see the select statement in the spool file, instead of only the result.

    I remembered this as "set verify on" or something.. Tried verify and feedback, but neither shows the desired result..

    Thanks, ST2000
    u dont need feedback ON or so.........

    thas defualt...
    i duuno how r u not able to see the SQL...and rather results only....
    funky...

    "I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

    "Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    40
    set echo on
    Then give spool command.
    It will record along with select statement

    If set echo off (which must be the default for u )then
    it will not record the select statement.

    To check what is default settings
    give 'show echo'
    K.Chithra
    Oracle DBA

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bangalore ( India )
    Posts
    2,434
    Originally posted by k.chithra

    If set echo off (which must be the default for u )then
    it will not record the select statement.
    Its immaterial

    Abhay.
    funky...

    "I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

    "Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    40
    All Oracle documentation is available online at tahiti.oracle.com.

    ECHO {ON|OFF} Controls whether the START command lists each command in a command file as the command is executed. ON lists the commands; OFF suppresses the listing.

    ********************************************

    Abhay,
    It appears to be immaterial.But I am sure it matters ..
    Let st2000 try it and we will see if it works.

    Before posting my first reply I tested it and only then I posted ..
    But one thing to be noted ,by initial setting when I logged into sql+
    echo setting was OFF and so it didnot record select st in spool file.

    After that I set it to ON .I could see the select st in spool file.
    again when I reset it to OFF ,but still I could see the select st in spool file.

    This happens till I relogon into SQL+ and repeat the same.

    I checked in metalink ,It gave some what relevant matter:
    "In order for the SET ECHO OFF command to be effective it must be issued from a SQL*Plus command file that is called using the SQLPLUS START command.....any previous SET ECHO OFF commands are not effective. ".

    We have to wait till st2000 tries it .
    If it doesnot work ,I will accept it is immaterial.

    Cheers!!
    K.Chithra
    Oracle DBA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bangalore ( India )
    Posts
    2,434
    Originally posted by k.chithra
    All Oracle documentation is available online at tahiti.oracle.com.

    ECHO {ON|OFF} Controls whether the START command lists each command in a command file as the command is executed. ON lists the commands; OFF suppresses the listing.

    ********************************************

    Abhay,
    It appears to be immaterial.But I am sure it matters ..
    Let st2000 try it and we will see if it works.

    Before posting my first reply I tested it and only then I posted ..
    But one thing to be noted ,by initial setting when I logged into sql+
    echo setting was OFF and so it didnot record select st in spool file.

    After that I set it to ON .I could see the select st in spool file.
    again when I reset it to OFF ,but still I could see the select st in spool file.

    This happens till I relogon into SQL+ and repeat the same.

    I checked in metalink ,It gave some what relevant matter:
    "In order for the SET ECHO OFF command to be effective it must be issued from a SQL*Plus command file that is called using the SQLPLUS START command.....any previous SET ECHO OFF commands are not effective. ".

    We have to wait till st2000 tries it .
    If it doesnot work ,I will accept it is immaterial.

    Cheers!!
    Hi chithra
    Code:
    17:45:19 SQL> set trimspool on
    17:47:33 SQL> set echo off
    17:47:37 SQL> show echo
    echo OFF
    17:47:40 SQL> spool c:\dba\test.txt
    17:47:43 SQL>  select * from tab;
    
    TNAME                          TABTYPE            CLUSTERID
    ------------------------------ ------- --------------------
    DIEDB                          VIEW
    TEST                           TABLE
    TEST1                          TABLE
    
    3 rows selected.
    
    17:47:46 SQL> spool off
    Check out the spool file contents for urself if SQL staements are suppressed.......
    Defualt Echo is off and if u spool, u do get SQL.......Even on relogon the result being same........

    S in DOS batch scripts it does effect.........

    Abhay.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by abhaysk; 03-02-2003 at 07:27 AM.
    funky...

    "I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

    "Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    40
    Hai Abhay,
    Can u pls do the foll and check

    1.logon (close sql+ and relogon fresh)
    2.sho echo
    3.Let me know if it is ON or OFF.
    DON'T SET IT OFF explicitly.
    I suspect it should be ON for u
    Whereas when I logged in it was OFF..

    The reason is it is taking value from a file 'login.sql' where default settings are given .It is having the first precedence.

    Can u pls check ur login.sql and check the default value given..
    Eagerly waiting for ur reply..

    Cheers
    K.Chithra
    Oracle DBA

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Bangalore ( India )
    Posts
    2,434
    Originally posted by k.chithra
    Hai Abhay,
    Can u pls do the foll and check

    1.logon (close sql+ and relogon fresh)
    2.sho echo
    3.Let me know if it is ON or OFF.
    DON'T SET IT OFF explicitly.
    I suspect it should be ON for u
    Whereas when I logged in it was OFF..

    The reason is it is taking value from a file 'login.sql' where default settings are given .It is having the first precedence.

    Can u pls check ur login.sql and check the default value given..
    Eagerly waiting for ur reply..

    Cheers

    SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.1 - Production on Sun Mar 2 18:34:38 2003

    (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

    Enter password: *****

    Connected to:
    Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.1.1 - Production
    With the Partitioning option
    JServer Release 9.0.1.1.1 - Production

    SQL> show echo
    echo OFF
    SQL>
    funky...

    "I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

    "Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width