DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT: control file rename

URGENT: control file rename

i installed oracle 8 on NT and during the database load (sap loading data to oracle) it loaded the data to the wrong drive (E:\) instead of D:\......so my db doesnt start since everying is in the cdrom drive (E). i changed the init.ora control file dir to D and was able to mount it...but startup brings an error looking for tablespaces in the E drive.....any idea how i could go about making the changes in the control file?

Go thru this documentation link on how to go about recreating the controlfile.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...scen.htm#11872
    Reddy,Sam

Run "backup controlfile to trace" command . This will create a text file under one of the dump directory. Edit the file by changing the path from E to D on all datafiles so the new controlfile can find datafiles on the D drive. OF course you have to move all datafiles from E to D before running the new controlfile script. Startup database nomount and run the new controlfile script. That should work. You might have to do some debugging though if encounter any errors.
    --------------------------------------
    It's not what the world does to you that matters. It's how you respond...

Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

sreddy & james_cc, do you take out the engine when you change the oil in your car?

nach, go with Sanjay's link:
    mount db and ALTER TABLESPACE RENAME DATAFILE . . .
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Originally posted by DaPi
    sreddy & james_cc, do you take out the engine when you change the oil in your car?
    Hey!DaPi! Check out the timestamps of the post and responses, saying he needs that solution and need is immediate.

He can do that task (what he asked for) 20 times by that time Sanjay responded with trick. He doesn't need 20 times to get it done right.

Sanjay, participated similar thread, so he advised more appropriate trick. IF nach would have been praticipated in that thread he might have not asked that question at all. Timing is much important when there is emergency. If I feel that I can take the engine out and change in oil in 2 hours on my own rather waiting for somebody for 4 hours and change oil in 15 minutes, I would go with taking out engine and change oil and reach my destination by that time I get somebody's help.

Keep in mind, even Oracle tech support(for which you pay) eats 15 min of your time to create a tar and give exact issue with specific details and take couple of hours to give solution. I don't sit quite until then in emergency, I will find my own ways of getting the task done if I could do in 30 min with a workaround

Stop criticising the people...

FYI,

To be honest, I have responded to that thread just looking at the sub: saying "URGENT". Didn't respond to that thread having so much free time in my hand. Thats all I could do (posting the doc link when there is emergency for him when I don't have time to read all the details of the thread and think for a minute and post what I know, I can think of..)
    Last edited by sreddy; 02-28-2003 at 03:53 PM.
    Reddy,Sam

Hi Sam,

I certainly applaud anyone who tries to help in a genuninely URGENT situation. Unfortunately the word gets missused - nach might be up against time pressure, but this does not seem to be a case of "my prod db just stopped working" (or am I wrong?).

OK, I now realise that Sanjay's reply would not have been seen till the next working day.

"taking out the engine" in my experience (I've done one or two, including replacing a 1925 Rolls-Royce) always risks breaking something - IMHO Sanjay's solution, being less likely to go wrong, was worth waiting for.

Sorry if I offended . .
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Originally posted by DaPi
    this does not seem to be a case of "my prod db just stopped working" (or am I wrong?).
    Isn't this is strictly context based, I mean 'URGENT' means not just the database is 'DOWN' But, Boss/CEO/Vice president is waiting OR $500/hour vendor consultants are waiting for DBA to do some task

I will expect from a person who comes here for an answer (under pressure) should be capable of going thru some link/doc/advise and see that serves the purpose of his question. If not, the person shouldn't attempt to try that resolution at all and wait for the right one giving little more details for the problem.

If 'ngdh' would have responded to my doc link post, may be I would have spared 5 more min for him... if not immediately atleast after an hour. I do agree what you said, if I would have given totally wrong advise with which he messed up totally (trusting my advise).

P.S: I'm typing something for a member post and a collegue stop by my desk asking for something which might take 5 min or 60 min so priority changes and tend to post quick answer and go back to my work. Free advise is always at somebody's expense who ask for it rather the one who advise. One who ask for it needs to think for a moment(it works or not) before taking the advise for granted . Take it easy...
    Reddy,Sam

Hi Sam,

I hear you - and we shouldn't fight 'coz we're both trying to do the same thing, i.e. help.

It would be nice to hear what 'nach' has to say about this - 5 centimes (Swiss) says we never do.

Have good one - DaPi

Originally posted by sreddy
    Isn't this is strictly context based, I mean 'URGENT' means not just the database is 'DOWN' But, Boss/CEO/Vice president is waiting OR $500/hour vendor consultants are waiting for DBA to do some task
    If this would be the case (CEOs and $500/hour consultants and stuff like that...), then one would expect that that DBA would address the question directly to Oracle Support, don't you think? Who in his right mind would rely on the answers from this forums, written by total "support amateurs", when $500 consultant is breathing at his shoulder?

The answer seen here might be just right, but they might also be totaly wrong, causing even more dammage!¨You can see such cases here every day. This forums can be considered as "casual technical disussions site", not as "definite sollution providing site". And the quickest answers here are many times not the best ones, sometimes even not the correct ones. The nature of this forums is such that often the correct or at least the most appropriate answers can be obtained only after a couple of hours (or days), when more members express their knowledge about the subject.

No offence, but i think that the "taking out a car engine to chainge the oil" metaphore was an excelent one.

BTW, it has been said many times by many top-posters at this forums that marking somethinga as URGENT in a subject line only shows the original poster's egoism and arrogance, and can have just the opposite effect. If one is willing to wait for an answer here without any guarantie if and when he would get one, then the problem in question is certanly not URGENT at all. I myself usually read the questions with word URGENT last and give them the lowest priority when answering...
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?