DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: backup and recovery.

backup and recovery.

I have the production database and it will run on archive mode, I already have the backup strategy in place but I have the last question and it's still in doubt.

Should I ask the network admin to backup the whole database server which included $ORACLE_HOME or I only need to tell him to backup scecific location such as: archivelogs, data files . .....etc....????

thanks

It would probably help if we knew what your backup strategy was.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks Jeff,

since this production database is only being used from 8-5 and no weekend, I was thinking to have two cold backup/week. One cold backup on Wed night and one cold backup on Sat. Archive logs will be purged on Sun after the cold backup on Sat. the control files will be backup as well and the export will be run everynight

Do you have any better plan for this database??? Do we need to backup the $ORACLE_HOME and everything on the database server as well???

Thanks
    Last edited by mike2000; 03-05-2003 at 01:29 PM.

Ah, a cold backup. Yes, I would backup everything (except the redo logs) including the $ORACLE_HOME.
    Jeff Hunter

Mike,

Since you (like me) appear to have the time, I would do a full machine backup, NO exceptions - saves forgetting something - unless that goes just beyond the end of the tape. (Sometimes it's clever to be "stupid" ).

While we are at it, why not daily? I have tapes "coming out of my ears" and archlogs copied all over the country - and I sleep VERY well. (Ever had 2 out of 3 tapes unreadable?)
    Last edited by DaPi; 03-05-2003 at 02:03 PM.
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Originally posted by DaPi
    Mike,

Since you (like me) appear to have the time, I would do a full machine backup - saves forgetting something - unless that goes just beyond the end of the tape. (Sometimes it's clever to be "stupid" ).
    Sometimes it's stupid to be clever. Backing up redo logs invites problems for a point-in-time recovery.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    Backing up redo logs invites problems for a point-in-time recovery.
    Oh YES - but you've got be "clever" to do a point-in-time recovery. You can't do a recovery with your eyes shut - you can a backup (tape labels in Braille!).

My preference is to make sure there is no chance of something being missing on the tape due to a bad selection of files (even when I'm the one ticking off the list of files - even more so when someone else does it!). It also reduces (avoids?) maintenance if (e.g.) you move the logs to another drive. (And if ever you have to rebuild a wrecked machine, it's one less thing to do when you're sweating a lot.)

Point taken that it does introduce a risk . . .
    "The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous" - Gibbon, quoted by R.P.Feynman

Jeff,

I am still not clear of how it's stupid to be clever by Backing up redo logs invites problems for a point-in-time recovery.

could you please explain???

thanks

Jeff Hunter

thanks Jeff