DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survey: Career in SAP or ORACLE?

Originally posted by julian
    I think that you will loose Oracle DBA skills if you do not use them 100%. I have heard Oracle DBAs complaining about this.

Oracle is enough large area and I prefer to learn some other part of Oracle than SAP.

You cannot be both excellent SAP and Oracle admin. Nor you can be both Unix and Oracle admin. It is either or. The other option is a to be somehow good in both.

I kind of agree, but with slight exception. While learning other aspects of Oracle is great, if your company doesn't use them you end up losing the skill. If your company is offering to train you on SAP or another ERP package in addition to your current duties, great.

I don't buy into the "demand" argument. If you always took a job with what's "in demand", you would be a C-Netware-VB-Unix-Cisco-NT-C++-HTML-Java-Oracle-ERP guy. Part of the reason there are no DBA jobs out there is because unskilled people got "certified" and got jobs as DBAs and flooded the market. Part of the reason there are no DBA jobs our there is demand for ALL IT positions is soft right now.

So, where does that leave you? If you have no security at your current position/company, move. If you see no future at your current position/company, move. If you like what you are doing but want to make more money, really think about it. Your career is like a business; only you can manage it correctly.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by dknight
    I would gladly get ERP experience given the opportunity whether it involves DBA work or not.

Here, there is currently a very strong demand for SAP consultants and a very weak demand for Oracle DBAs. In addition, Siebel, Peoplesoft, and Oracle Apps pros with DBA experience are in demand.

There is a steady demand for SAP R/3 Admins that have a very good grasp of Oracle Administration and Unix Administration. An SAP freelancer (Admin or non Admin) can expect an hourly wage (in Germany) that is significantly higher than an Oracle DBA or Developer.

Check out www.jobserve.com to gauge the demand.
    Man, you are in Gemany, SAP is German. Of course the demand there is high..
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by marist89
    I kind of agree, but with slight exception. While learning other aspects of Oracle is great, if your company doesn't use them you end up losing the skill. If your company is offering to train you on SAP or another ERP package in addition to your current duties, great.

I don't buy into the "demand" argument. If you always took a job with what's "in demand", you would be a C-Netware-VB-Unix-Cisco-NT-C++-HTML-Java-Oracle-ERP guy. Part of the reason there are no DBA jobs out there is because unskilled people got "certified" and got jobs as DBAs and flooded the market. Part of the reason there are no DBA jobs our there is demand for ALL IT positions is soft right now.

So, where does that leave you? If you have no security at your current position/company, move. If you see no future at your current position/company, move. If you like what you are doing but want to make more money, really think about it. Your career is like a business; only you can manage it correctly.
    I agree with Jeff. He put it into words the way I probably wanted to, but couldn't.

Tha DBA market is dead but not that dead. We here for example have an opening position for an NT Oracle DBA.
    Oracle Certified Master

Originally posted by julian
    Man, you are in Gemany, SAP is German. Of course the demand there is high..
    Normally, i use jobserve and look at the contract positions. I have found that searches on Denmark, Sweden, the UK, and the few positions for Poland return a lot of SAP. SAP is the largest software company in Europe, so it isnĀ“t surprising that a demand exists outside of Germany.

Marist is right about weakness in the IT job market and the futility of a career strategy that involves jumping on the latest hot skill. However, it is possible that there is a trend toward the greater use of ERP software and the use of hosting companies. Acknowledging these trends (if you believe they exist) may require adjusting your career strategy independent of the IT business cycle.

Another possible reason for the drop in DBA demand is that with better management tools, less staff is required.

It is just my opinion.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Isnt german army struggling with their SAP implementation?

I agreee with the comments written by the others. And I do agree with Julian that skills that are not used, are soon forgotten. In saying this, you'll still have the Oracle concepts in hand. A good DBA with SAP skills, whilst will NEVER be an expert in both areana's, will definately expand their employability.

Also, as has been said to me (many times over the last couple of months), a good DBA can always find work. So I also agree again with Julian and Jeff, the market isn't Dead to all DBA's, just to the unskilled.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.

Im planning to leave my current job and I have these 2 companies that applied for that offers great career opportunities. One offers a Oracle DBA role that will managed their global client's Oracle databases. The other, as I have shared will be on implementing and supporting SAP systems. But nothing final yet, coz we have not discuss anything on the compensation package yet. Its a local assignment so im not really expecting any significant raise in my current salary. But im looking into the future. Hopefully before I reach the age of 30, i'll have the skills to land me a good job with a great pay (Kinda' wishfull thinking huh?)

I'm just currently getting around USD725.00/month (converted to USD) in my country. Not a pleasant thing to think of =) considering the amount is gross pay.

I hope everything will work out. Thank you guys for your comments. appreciate it very much.
    The Maverick
    Oracle Certified DBA - 8i

No need to worry. Most of the SAP are sitting beside Oracle DB. Even for my company both are running on a IBM AIX Server.

But, SAP is damn broad, they have a few modules. To master one modules, it's going to take up some time. Only take those, which have market value. And SAP courses are damn expensive.

If the person have implement one or two life cycle of the SAP. At the current job market, you are hot. If SAP die off, your career going to die too.

From my user feedback, they are difficult to use. They have to go through several steps to get things done. SAP told them, it's the security function, that's why they have to go through so many steps to search,check and add.

I dun really favour SAP. See how the SAP market perform for the next few years.
    MCSE,MCDBA,MCSD,CCNA,CCDA,CCSA,CCSE, MCSA, SCSA, OCP

Originally posted by danielwong
    And SAP courses are damn expensive.
    Very true. At the high end it is Rs.2.2 lakhs for a 5 week training programme. Check this out... http://sap.com/asia/education/new/St...INMarJun02.pdf

I suppose the pay for a certified SAP professional would be almost double of a DBA's salary(based on the training fee, I presume)!

I really don't know people who administer both SAP and Oracle. Perhaps in some very small companies. But I can imagine how they adiminister them :-)
    Oracle Certified Master