DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survey: Career in SAP or ORACLE?

Originally posted by julian
    I really don't know people who administer both SAP and Oracle. Perhaps in some very small companies. But I can imagine how they adiminister them :-)
    There are lots who does that in Spain. In fact companies expect an Oracle DBA able to administaer SAP with SAP tools like SAPDBA

SAP is a very closed system, it may be bad focusing yourself with it. But working with ERP you probably learn how a company works. But then you have not said what are you gonna do with SAP. Are you going to be functional consultant or technical? If it's gonna be functional then you can start forget everything about Oracle, there are lots of SAP functional consultants in my company and many cant even write simple SQL statements because there is no need for them to do that

Probably in small companies as I said. I work for a big company and there are separate SAP admins, Oracle admins, Unix admins, etc.

Bottom line: you are either an Oracle DBA or SAP admin or Unix admin. If someone tells me that he is both or all three, well I would not trust his complex skills too much :-)
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

The companies I have seen dba administering SAP is not that small really, 5000+ employees. My boss for example, was DBA in one of largest petrol company in Spain and he used to administer SAP and several others.
    Same with Oracle applications, people expect dba administer oracle financials, crm etc
    Same with peoplesoft, jd edwards. The problem is there is no such position called ERP administrators (or there is but noone uses it here), the guy who's administering the database is gonna look after the databases these ERP runs on as well

I really don't know people who administer both SAP and Oracle. Perhaps in some very small companies. But I can imagine how they adiminister them :-)
    Well i think Donald K. Burleson is one such person

Check out his book on Oracle SAP Administration.
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sapadm/
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Originally posted by adewri
    Well i think Donald K. Burleson is one such person

Check out his book on Oracle SAP Administration.
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sapadm/
    :-) Most people who write books or teach Oracle are far, far away from the every day DB problems. How often have you noticed that something claimed in a book or Metalink note is not the same as in reality.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

:-) Most people who write books or teach Oracle are far, far away from the every day DB problems. How often have you noticed that something claimed in a book or Metalink note is not the same as in reality.
    I kind of agree (again), but in this case it's not true. I have met Don Burleson and his books come from the every day experience of managaing real databases. Although I don't always agree with him, Don is right up there in my top 5 respected Oracle dudes along with Tom Kyte, Mike Ault, Ahmed Alomari & Howard Rogers.
    Last edited by marist89; 02-20-2003 at 09:46 AM.
    Jeff Hunter

Hmmm... i agree...

Say i spend 6 months writing a book, to write a book i think i need to test what i write... ( or may be i can just copy from somewhere else )

Again depends on who is or has written the book...

You cannot say every one is the same, there are exceptions

Tom Kyte, Mike Ault, Donald K. Burleson , Jonathan Lewis

I love them all and i love you all too
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

What's the difference between a SAP Functional consultant and a SAP Technical consultant? Being an OracleDBA w/c do you think will be more appropriate (Functional or Technical)? What's BASIS and ABAP?

This might help me decide better if an offer does come. Thanks
    The Maverick
    Oracle Certified DBA - 8i

Originally posted by D Maverick
    Being an OracleDBA w/c do you think will be more appropriate (Functional or Technical)?
    SAP Technical would be more apt for a techy like an Oracle DBA!

Check this out for more info... http://www.sapbasisadministration.com/

HTH.
    Last edited by ggnanaraj; 02-21-2003 at 07:08 AM.

Originally posted by pando
    There are lots who does that in Spain. In fact companies expect an Oracle DBA able to administaer SAP with SAP tools like SAPDBA

SAP is a very closed system, it may be bad focusing yourself with it. But working with ERP you probably learn how a company works. But then you have not said what are you gonna do with SAP. Are you going to be functional consultant or technical? If it's gonna be functional then you can start forget everything about Oracle, there are lots of SAP functional consultants in my company and many cant even write simple SQL statements because there is no need for them to do that
    the above sums it all up.. SAP has lots of functional modules. and normally, an individual is skilled in one module... due to its complexity..... regarding whether technical guys or functional guys earn more money , i am not too sure.