DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Demand for DBA

Unhappy Bad Demand for DBA

Hi all,
    Just wonder any of your countries really experience bad demand for the DBA. Especially for Oracle DBA. Organization tend to use 'Open Source' Software rather licensed copy. I don't need to mention what are the open source database.
    What I can feel in my country is many companies still 'waiting' for the economy to recover and not intend to invest on new technology.

Any of you have the experiences on this ?

what open source database do you mean?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Hi Ckwan

well you need to correct your post i think you wanted to say unlicensced soaftware...open source is not the right term here..I am great fan of open source technology..please correct your posting..

regards
    Hrishy

Is the MySQL is the Open Source Database ? What I mean is people more keen on something which is FOC like MySQL.

Any comments on this ?

Hi

well you really think..companies are investing into Mysql because they are free..well nope..it depends upon what you want to do..if you want to write a helpdesk system..which one would you go for oracle or mysql..i would always prefer Mysql..

regards
    Hrishy

The problem with GPL is you dont get support which is very important for critical systems

Hi hrishy,
    u r definitely right. for the small system I also choose simple and free software. but nowadays organization very much keen on the MySQL even the database is for critical system. I had facing few customers wanted to use the MySQL for their production system cause they want to cut down their budget.

if you have Siebel do you think it can run on MySql?

applications get certified on different database platforms, if your database is not certified you dont get support from software vendor, if one day you run Siebel on MySql and things go wrong and you get no support are you gonna tell your customer "well sorry we have to live with this because we dont have support whatsoever"?

Just look linux, why distributions such as Debian/Slackware are not supported by major sofwtare vendors? (And in my opinion they are much better than RedHat/Suse like)

Talking

hi guys
    Right from the start i have always been saying that there is BAD DEMAND FOR ORACLE DBA .

Hi Ckwan

Pando is right..depends on what you want to do..siebel or sap or baan wouldnt get you far on mysql..but your cutomer wants to develop a mission crtitcal application mysql i dont see anything..till such time the application is supported..and you know exactly what you are doing..remember mysql is stable it supports read consistancy and will include support for analytics triggers in version 5.0 which is the next release..you should read the documentation of mysql4.0 and weigh it up against your project requirements and then decide and not let go off mysql server just because you are an oracle DBA..its an oppurtunity for you to pick up mysql server skills..

regards
    Hrishy