DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2 databases

2 databases

Hi

Currently i use the svrmgrl utitlity to start the only database by issuing Connect internal => startup command.

In case i have 2 databases how can i start both the db's . How do i ascertain which 1 is started.

Currently i have both the databases(same version) on the same home. Does that mean i have 2 instances or there can be only 1 instance per home or per machine.
    Is it possible to have 2 different database versions (8i & 9i) on the same home

is sid & instance name one & the same
    Bye

To determine if a db is up:

ps -fu oracle | grep

If you see listing for the various Oracle processes (e.g. DBWR, ARCH etc.) then it's up.

Whenever you want to connect to a given database using svrmgr or sqlplus on the server to startup/shutdown or whatever, enter:

export ORACLE_SID=

There is no reason why you cannot have many databases on the same box using the same Oracle software. Before creating a new one just be sure to export the ORACLE_SID prior to creation or connecting to it. Also add an entry to /etc/oratab to ensure that the db is opened or closed on reboot if you have configured the system to do this. If you want to start/shut a database without exporting the sid and starting svrmgr/sqlplus enter:

dbshut

or:

dbstart

This will loop through each entry in /etc/oratab and start/shut each db where the last column is set to 'Y'.

If you want to have different versions of the RDBMS on the same machine and databases associated with each version then you must create a seperate ORACLE_HOME for each version of the software and specify the correct oracle home for each db in /etc/oratab.

DB_NAME (in init.ora) and ORACLE_SID are not the same thing but it is considered good form to set them both to the same thing.

Sorry used symbols that have caused my text to be hidden!

ps -fu oracle | grep your_oracle_sid

export ORACLE_SID=your_oracle_sid