DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 8i Standby and 8i Data Guard Automated Action

8i Standby and 8i Data Guard Automated Action

With 8i Standby in managed recovery mode and 8i Data Guard 3.0.2 implemented on top of it and all is well, automated transfer and application of archive logs to standby----IF THE PRIMARY DATABASE PLUG IS PULLED, WILL 8I DG AUTOMATICALLY APPLY OUTSTANDING ARCHIVE LOGS AND OPEN UP STANDBY DATABASE FOR USE?

OR DOES THE DBA HAVE TO INTERVENE USING DGDCTL AND EXECUTE A 'FAILOVER' COMMAND TO APPLY AND OPEN UP STANDBY FOR USE?

Data guard does NOT exist in Oracle 8i...
    alapps

Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick Two(2)

8i standby and 8i data guard automation action

Yes, sir it does. I have been using it for several months. Can anyone else answer my question?

Summarized Steps:

1. Must have a functioning 8i Standby database.
    2. Download the 8i 3.0.2 Data Guard executables from Oracle and put only under ORACLE_HOME directory. (O8i_DG_R3_0_2_Sun_tar.Z)
    3. Uncompress and untar the *Z file. It will create full blown executables under a /dataguard directory.
    zcat O8i_DG_R3_0_2_Sun_tar.Z | tar xvf -

The next steps encompass defining the values for the 63 parameters required for Data Guard. These values are divided between the Primary and Standby servers......

8i Data Guard:
    Oracle 8i Data Guard automates the monitoring, instantiation, configuration and control that enhance the 8i Standby database. It does this by the use of SWITCHOVER, FAILOVER, and other transitions that occur between the primary and standby site.

It enhances the Oracle8i standby database in the following ways:
    • Simpler disaster recovery
    • Easier scheduled maintenance using the standby database
    • Implementation of safeguards and automation to protect against operator error and data corruption
    • Easier standby maintenance and standby instantiation features

Previously, customers had to create their own scripts and tools to manage their database environment and to execute switchovers and failovers when using 8i Standby databases. Oracle8i Data Guard makes those scripts unnecessary and automates the monitoring and management of the Oracle8i standby database. When a disaster occurs, you want to ensure that your failover procedures incorporate Oracle best practices so that the standby database will be activated successfully. Oracle8i Data Guard provides the best integrated procedure for single-command failover.

Re: 8i standby and 8i data guard automation action

Originally posted by acur8dba
    Previously, customers had to create their own scripts and tools to manage their database environment and to execute switchovers and failovers when using 8i Standby databases.
    I'm not familiar with Dataguard prior to 9i, but in any case I'm quite positive that with 8i standby database there is no way to perform switchover between the primary and the secondary database, no matter if you are using data Guard or not. Or am I wrong?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?