DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HInt pls

HInt pls

Hello,

I've plans to design a new webpage and maintain it.well, here it goes...

On my navigation bar, i have 3 different topics.

When i click on each topic, there are as many no.of sub-topics displayed on the page.and when I click on each subtopic, there could be many articles displayed.Now, when i click on the article, the content is displayed.So, I planned to make each topic a db.

So, in simple words, under 1 topic, there are several sub-topics and under each sub-topic, there are several articles.

well,somebody can give me a hint how my db should look like??

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I made 2 tables, one to store the sub-topics and 1 for the articles.
    could somebody please help me out.

Make 3 tables referenced to each other.

What do u mean by "I planned to make each topic a db." Could do this way if it suits u i.e Table 1st for Topics, 2nd for Sub-Topics and 3rd for articles.

Hope this helps, contact me for any further queries.
    NK
    ====================================================
    Stand up for your principles even if you stand alone!
    ====================================================

Hello everybody,

Well, i need some more clarification regarding the same question again.I guess db admins will have more idea about it.

Question: topic, under that sub-topics,under that articles

For each topic there could be some 20 sub-topics and for each subtopic there could be some 1000 or 2000 or more articles.

For example, if i have a topic 1 and under that sub-topic1, sub-topic2, sub-topic3, sub-topic4 and if have 1000 or 2000 articles for each subtopic, then i cant imagine the size now;-)

So, could you please tell me the best idea how i can get the design.

But, this is true: For each topic, there are many sub-topics and for each sub topic there are many articles.

My previous design was: 3 tables-[topic(topic_id, topic_name), subtopic(subtopic_id, topic_id, subtopic_name), articles(article_id, subtopic_id, article_name, article_content)

How could you suggest me now??each topic a table or some thing like that.

A nice explanation would help me more.

Ps: I'm using mysql as database.(I think the idea shld be the same what ever the database it is, am i wrong?)

Thank you so much

can you just give the logic behind all this topic and sub topic and many more thousands of subtopics of each subtopic...

what is your requirement??? is this your imagination to have things like this or is this a requirement...

I'm very mush doubtfull about the designing... whoever is behind your design.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

is this your imagination to have things like this or is this a requirement...
    It can be true in both the cases.

Anyways,Europe destinations is a topic name and sub-topics can be paris,rome, pisa, vienna, zurich, venice.

And now articles for each sub-topic(i.e, the city names)can be as many as possible.for ex:there are tons of articles for paris.

I hope i expressed myself clearly.

Thanks everybody.