DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Minimizing migration downtime...

Question Minimizing migration downtime...

Hi,

I need to plan a migration from a 80 Gb 7.3 instance on Netware to a 9.2 on Unix.

The 7.3 instance is running 24*7, there is no cold backup planned, only hot ones, and I need to minimize downtime during migration.

Using export/import would really take too much time, and AFAIK I cannot use a standy database mechanism to replicate my instance since versions differ...

If you have any idea, it will be welcome !!

Thanks

across the platform migration... only exp/imp is possible...
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

Well, there are solutions other than exp/imp.

One could possibly stop connexions on prod instance, migrate only tables through a DB*Link and then recreate indexes on the new instance.

You could also imagine to create a mirror of the actual datafiles, move them, and recreate controlfiles on the new instance (I know it's neither documented nor recommanded, but it once worked).

I also know that there are tools (like Quest SharePlex) which allow you to do such a migration with a minimum downtime, nevertheless my client does not want to use any external (and expensive) tool :/

Originally posted by pipo
    Well, there are solutions other than exp/imp.

One could possibly stop connexions on prod instance, migrate only tables through a DB*Link and then recreate indexes on the new instance.

-------- that will be your nightmare :-)

You could also imagine to create a mirror of the actual datafiles, move them, and recreate controlfiles on the new instance (I know it's neither documented nor recommanded, but it once worked).

-------- across the platform ?? i very much doubt it

I also know that there are tools (like Quest SharePlex) which allow you to do such a migration with a minimum downtime, nevertheless my client does not want to use any external (and expensive) tool

------- its again your choice to use tools (expensive) or exp/imp (free)
    :/
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

You're right, but exporting would take say 3/4 hours, at 1/2 hours FTP, and 3/4 hours importing... which is really too long :/

That's why I am looking for exotic and possibly funky ways to do this (even if they are not supported by Oracle)

Setup multi-master replication between your two boxes.
    Jeff Hunter