DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: test export

test export

Does anyone have suggestions on how to test an export. I run a nightly export on a 50g database and would like to test that the export is valid. If I have to restore from this export, it will always be a full restore, many of the schemas are related.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks,

The simplest way to test an export is to import it into a test instance, obviously if you are relying on the export you should test this regularly. If you want a quick and dirty test you could simply test the import of individual tables/users from the export file.

I think you should consider other methods of backing up your data (if you don't already) as the import process is likely to be quite time consuming.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Hi

What do you mean by a test export..if you mean data block corruption yes..export utility will warn you..if there are errors in export then you can check the export log file..and if you are using export as a backup strategy..well i like to warn ya against it..time to pick up some rman skills ;-D

regards
    Hrishy

50GB is huge. Import is really going to kill you. BTW what is the purpose behind such a huge export import?
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

It is not feasible to import into the test database right now.

I got weekly cold backups on the database. The data is not changed by users, just select only. We also perform cold backups if there has been any new data added. I have tested the cold backup, all worked good.

I thought a second method of recovery would be useful. So I thought nightly export. I realize it a a large database, but I used the filesize parameters and it only takes about 2 hrs. to export.

I didn't get any export errors, would you consider that valid?

Do I need a second method of recovery with cold backups?

Hi

Your export is a valid one..the point sanjay made was you will take a lotta of time to import a 50G database becuase import is a serial process..it takes two hours to do the export but have you ever tried importing that..it would take many more hours to do the import..besides you shouldnt be doing import as a part of your backup strategy..

If you ever want to restore from thei export it will take a lon..........g time..how lon....g ios dependent upon your server resources.

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by kburrows
    I didn't get any export errors, would you consider that valid?
    For purposes of recovery, I would never consider an export file valid. The problem is you won't know if an export file is good or not until you import it back into a database. And if you're using import for recovery, that's the last point that you want imp to fail.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    For purposes of recovery, I would never consider an export file valid. The problem is you won't know if an export file is good or not until you import it back into a database. And if you're using import for recovery, that's the last point that you want imp to fail.
    Now where have I heard this before?
    If I had a nickel for every time you said this....

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.