DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: /etc/system

/etc/system

Dear All,

I need a few information from you. Iam working on the windows environment and new to Unix. Hence I need a few information from you. Right now Iam administering a 50GB OLTP database on Advanced Server2000 environment and if I were to set up the same database on Sun-Solaris, what would be the settings/configuration/values of various parameters of the /etc/system file. If anyone could help me out with the composition of the parameters in your Production Database, shall be very helpfull to me.

Also pls provide me the shell-scripts that u use to take backups. I just need to have an idea as to how things work so that I can adapt them to my requirement.

Looking forward to hear further from you,

Regards,

K.Diwakar
    Last edited by diwakar; 02-04-2003 at 02:59 AM.

Mr.Agasimani,

I know that is is well dokumented by Oracle. I need live values of parameters from any Production Database. and so is my post...

Regards,

K.Diwakar

Hi diwakar,
    Do you have the scripts to automate the oracle backup(exp/imp) in windows advance server 2000.

Thanks

I know that is is well dokumented by Oracle. I need live values of parameters from any Production Database. and so is my post...

Mr Diwakar

I gave you that link because the parameters/values differ from one database to another. It all depends on objectives, operating system, memory, hard disk etc. If you have understood the concepts of parameters, then Mr Diwakar you are the best judge of the right values for them.

For your info my settings are as follows:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=6442450944
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
    set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semmns=2500
    set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767

Does this help?
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

Dear Mr. castlerock

Right now, I take only Hot Backups and I have not automated the process yet.

Regards,

K.Diwakar

Originally posted by castlerock
    Hi diwakar,
    Do you have the scripts to automate the oracle backup(exp/imp) in windows advance server 2000.

Thanks

Dear Mr.Agasimani,

Thanks for your reply. Very usefull indeed. Just could you add a little bit about your system and disk resources and the type of database you have. I get u but the drawback is that in some situations I see people judging by values given to the parameters of /etc/system file. Ofcourse u can adjust them depending upon the situation, what I need now is what u have given + what I have asked sothat I can give a complete description of the situation when someone aske me.

Eagerly awaiting your reply,

Regards,

K.Diwakar

Originally posted by agasimani

Mr Diwakar

I gave you that link because the parameters/values differ from one database to another. It all depends on objectives, operating system, memory, hard disk etc. If you have understood the concepts of parameters, then Mr Diwakar you are the best judge of the right values for them.

For your info my settings are as follows:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=6442450944
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
    set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semmns=2500
    set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767

Does this help?

This is the precise problem. Your configuration is different then everybody elses. Read and understand what the parameters mean so you can intrepret them yourself!
    Jeff Hunter