DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to use locally managed tablespaces in Oracle 9.2.0.2.0.

Question Is it safe to use locally managed tablespaces in Oracle 9.2.0.2.0.

Hi,

I`m about to start the convertion of our production system from 8i to 9.2.0.2.0. 64 bit Solaris on Solaris 8 and looking or an info about durability of completely locally managed databases.

Does anybody have any negative experience with locally managed tablespaces with this version?

My test system works OK so long so far with all SYSTEM, UNDO, TEMP and data tablespaces created as 'SIZE 1998M REUSE AUTOEXTEND OFF EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 128K SEGMENT SPACE MANAGEMENT AUTO;'. Is it safe to be so for production or is it still too vulnerable?

Thanks in advance,
    Paul.

Is it safe? What is this, a throwback to "Marathon Man," when Rod Steiger is torturing Dustin Hoffman? Is it safe? Is it safe?

Yes, it's safe. It's so safe you wouldn't believe it
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by stecal
    Is it safe? What is this, a throwback to "Marathon Man," when Rod Steiger is torturing Dustin Hoffman? Is it safe? Is it safe?
    There is no reason to be sarcastic.
    It`s my job to be paranoid, i`m getting paid for it.

I used to have issues with locally managed temporary and SYSTEM tablespaces in early versions of 9i and lost interest to it for a pretty long time, so, if nobody have had any issues with recent versions of 9i on the long running production systems - that`s fine.

Something you should know: If you created the database with SYSTEM tablespace as locally managed, ALL THE TABLESPACES in the databases have to be locally managed. You WILL NOT BE ABLE TO CREATE any dictionary managed tablespaces.
    Remember the Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules!
    ===================
    Kris109
    Ph.D., OCP 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g DBA

it was laurence oilivier who was torturing dustin hoffman in Marathon Man. not rod steiger.
    You think I'm going to have an affair with you? --Stanley Kowalski

Ohmigod, I can't believe I did that.

Marathon Man (1976) is a scary nightmare thriller, best known for the suspenseful pursuit scenes and a truly repellent scene of torture.
    Doc Levy (Roy Scheider), an American secret agent, who is thought to have stolen a valuable cache of diamonds, is killed by evil ex-Nazi Szell (Laurence Olivier), an ex-concentration camp dentist by profession. Szell has come to New York to retrieve the fortune in diamonds. Szell kidnaps Doc's brother, lone, idealistic Jewish graduate student Babe Levy (Dustin Hoffman), who knows nothing about his brother's involvement.

In the most memorable torture scene, Szell uses his dental instruments for sadistic oral surgery to torture and extract information from Babe. Szell is the essence of evil and disturbingly effective during the torture, repeatedly asking Babe the question:

Is it safe?

Originally posted by utkinpol
    There is no reason to be sarcastic.
    It`s my job to be paranoid, i`m getting paid for it.

I used to have issues with locally managed temporary and SYSTEM tablespaces in early versions of 9i and lost interest to it for a pretty long time, so, if nobody have had any issues with recent versions of 9i on the long running production systems - that`s fine.
    Oracle 9i R1 supports LMT for system tablespace???

Originally posted by utkinpol
    I used to have issues with locally managed temporary and SYSTEM tablespaces in early versions of 9i and lost interest to it for a pretty long time...
    Yeah, utkinpol, what were the isues with localy managed SYSTEM tablespace in early versions of 9i? I bet your main isue was the fact that you were not able to create SYSTEM as LMT back then! So, was that the reason why you've lost interest in it?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

well that's why I thought he is talking non-sense