DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Connection Manager

Connection Manager

I am using "Beachfront" to study for "Fundamentals II", and one of the questions is:

Connection Manager features cannot be used with which of the following naming method?

a - host naming

b - local naming

c - oracle names

d - names server

-- I thought the answer is "B" local naming, but for beachfront the answer is "A" host naming. The weird thing is the explanation states that Connection Manager works with the three-tier environment, isn't host naming used for three-tier environment and local naming for two-tier? I just want to verify that the software is all wrong.

Connection Manager does not support host naming. Also, host naming only works on TCP/IP and one of the features of CMAN is the ability to translate different network protocols between client and server.

isn't host naming used for three-tier environment and local naming for two-tier?
    There is no such relationship between name resolution and middle-tiers. These are different concepts. You can use host naming for 2-tier as well.

Local naming only says that a listener will be tried according to a TNSNAMES.ORA file. In hostnaming the same listener will be found on the hostname provided on connection string using TCP/IP and default port 1521.
    An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.
    —Friedrich Engels

Thanks adrianomp......