DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

enter /3GB in C:\Boot.ini of your m/c like this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNTSVR="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /3GB /fastdetect

Windows 2000 Advanced Server allows to increase the memory available to the process from 2GB to 3GB. This is referred to as 4GT, or 4-gigabyte tuning, because it changes the distribution of memory within the 4GB process address space, giving only 1GB to the OS, and leaving the rest for the process. The feat can be accomplished by adding the switch, /3GB, to the boot.ini file.

Mohit Mahajan
    DBA.

I was just browsing thro' the pages and saw this problem I dont even know since what time u have been posting the stuff but I faced the same problem some time back and following thing worked for me ....

enter /3GB in C:\Boot.ini of your m/c like this and reboot.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNTSVR="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /3GB /fastdetect

Windows 2000 Advanced Server allows to increase the memory available to the process from 2GB to 3GB. This is referred to as 4GT, or 4-gigabyte tuning, because it changes the distribution of memory within the 4GB process address space, giving only 1GB to the OS, and leaving the rest for the process. The feat can be accomplished by adding the switch, /3GB, to the boot.ini file.

Hope it'll work.

Mohit Mahajan
    DBA.

Originally posted by newbie5
    I swear to god that I did exactly as told. I cut and pasted the listerner.ora and tnsnames.ora and TNS_ADMIN for one lisetner.

Where did u add TNS_ADMIN? I mean where in registry did u add?

Did u add to Oracle_Home of 9i as adewri said???

If u did and using listener of 9i then u shudnt get the error...

In ur listener & TNS names give SID instead if Service_Name to see if it works......

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

newbie5 is offline Call me super inquisitive
    The correct place to put TNS_ADMIN in registry is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE

and I have put it there and verified from lsnrctl that the listener.ora file is being pulled from the tns_admin directory.
    Last edited by newbie5; 02-03-2003 at 11:45 AM.

Originally posted by newbie5
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
    Is this ur oracle 9i Home?

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

newbie5 is offline Call me super inquisitive
    Mohit,

I thought the change you indicated is only necessary if the memory is more than 2GB. I have only 1G memory on my win2k server.

Are you sure about this?