DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: session parm in PFILE

session parm in PFILE

Hello all

Sun 5.8 and ORacle 9.2

I created the database using DBCA which means SPFILE is created by default and database is started using SPFILE. Later i made some change to 'processes' parameter dynamically and created PFILE from SPFILE.

Now when i look at PFILE, i can't see 'SESSIONS' Parameter..but when i issue 'show parameter sessions' it says Sessions as 720. I need to edit this parameter also why can't i see this parameter in PFILE ?

Thanks
    ron

When you changed the parameter dynamically did you specify the scope as BOTH?

You need to specify the scope as SPFILE or BOTH for the parameter to be written out to the spfile. Once you have done this you can create the pfile and the new value will be shown.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

The parameter SESSIONS is derived & static parameter and its default value is (1.1 * PROCESSES) + 5. If you want to change its value then you need to add it in pfile and start the database using this pfile and then recreate spfile from pfile.
    HTH.
    Shripad Godbole
    OCP DBA (8,8i,9i)

"Let's document it and call it a feature."

Originally posted by sgodbole
    .... If you want to change its value then you need to add it in pfile and start the database using this pfile and then recreate spfile from pfile.
    No need for this spfile->pfile->change_parameter_in_pfile->recreate_spfile jumble. You can directly change any parameter (being static or dynamic) directly in spfile. In our case, a simple
    Code:
    ALTER SYSTEM SET sessions=170 SCOPE=SPFILE;
    will do.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Yes, you are correct. That's easy way. Now if he wants to see that setting in pfile then he need to recreate pfile from spfile.
    HTH.
    Shripad Godbole
    OCP DBA (8,8i,9i)

"Let's document it and call it a feature."